Sep 25, 2020
SUR 40120 - Junior Internship in Surgical Oncology
Cr Hrs: 6
Session Length: 4 weeks
This is a face to face clinical rotation receiving 6 credit hours. The student will function as a junior intern with increased autonomy in patient care and must demonstrate competency in all of the Entrustable Professional Activities required for graduation. * Broad exposure to the diagnosis, evaluation, and multimodal treatment approach to a variety of cancers
* Intensive exposure to both the outpatient and inpatient management of patients with malignant disease.
* Outpatient: responsible for performing history and physical examinations on patients with newly diagnosed malignancies; analyzing treatment options for both new and returning patients.
* Inpatient: daily rounds under the supervision of the resident and attending staff, write progress notes, and assist in surgical procedures.
* Attend the weekly conferences of the Department of Surgery, and participate in the weekly Multidisciplinary Tumor and Breast Disease Diagnosis and Management Conferences.
* Weekly didactic session with a faculty proctor to guide the student’s literature review of a particular topic in surgical oncology.
* Students’ presentation of the review topic to the members of the surgical oncology division.
* One or two days may be spent with a faculty proctor in Radiation Therapy or Medical Oncology to allow the student an opportunity to understand more fully the concept of multidisciplinary cancer care from each disciplines perspective. Objectives of Clerkship:
* Improved understanding of cancer biology, surgical treatment approaches to both primary and recurrent cancer.
* Improved understanding of the integration of other treatment modalities in the overall management of malignant diseases.
Grade Mode: Standard
Max per section: 2
Instructional Method: Clinical-Required Selective
Location offered: Knoxville
Hospital: University of Tennessee Medical Center-Knoxville
Prerequisites: Completion of 5 CORE Clerkships inclusive of SUR-30000
Term offered: Spring/Fall
Fall - Instructor of Record: James Lewis - jlewis45@utmck
Spring - Instructor of Record: James Lewis - jlewis45@utmck
Course Coordinator: Missy Maples - email@example.com - 865-305-9618
Prior Authorization: Yes
Blocks Not Offered: None
Off-cycle timing allowed: No
Deadline for Excused Absence: Thirty days before start of elective/rotation
Deadline for Cancellation: Thirty days before start of elective/rotation
Time off for interviews: No
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)