Oct 04, 2022  
2017-2018 CenterScope 
2017-2018 CenterScope [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services

University Academic Calendar

The University Academic Calendar and detailed Calendars for each college and their respective programs can be found at https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/academic_calendar.php.

New Student Orientation (2017 - 2018)

The purpose of the new student orientation (NSO) at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) is to ensure that new students have a successful transition and integration into the UTHSC community. The program promotes discussion among new students, continuing students, and faculty and staff on the expectations and perceptions of the campus community. Incoming students should contact the admissions office of their respective colleges for New Student Orientation schedules and dates. You may also contact an Admissions Counselor or the UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions [Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] for more information. 

By attending orientation students will:
•    Gain more knowledge of student support services, the service unit within their respective College, and the UTHSC academic experience.
•    Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending UTHSC.
•    Reduce anxiety about the transition to medical, dental, or nursing school.
•    Reinforce the necessity of students taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process.

Things to do on-line before NSO week

  • Complete the FAFSA.
  • In order to finalize your acceptance, the institution requires that ALL students be fully admitted to the University. The UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions [Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] will contact you regarding your NetiD and default password which may take 2-3 weeks from the time you have received your acceptance packet. Once you receive your NetiD and default password you can log-in to Banner Self-Service to begin the acceptance process. By completing the acceptance process, this will enable you to be awarded financial aid and register for classes prior to matriculation. All incoming students except those in the College of Graduate Health Sciences will be asked to authorize a $75.00 charge to their credit card. The $75.00 processing fee is non-refundable.
  • View the Bursar’s/Cashier’s link to include: [1] Student Loans; [2] Payment of Fees and First Year Expenses.
  • Read about and then complete the required Information Security Training
  • Complete Student Parking Permit.

Things to read before NSO week

Things to mail-in or send via FAX before NSO week

Things to bring with you to NSO week

  • Bring funds to pay for student parking, unless you included this fee on your fee sheet.
  • Bring copies of your immunization records just in case your copy is not on file.

Things to do during the summer

Related Sources

Additional Contact Information

Note:  Each college or program may have specific Orientation reminders or tasks.  Please refer to information from your program office for details.

The purpose of orientation in the College of Nursing for newly admitted students is to show what UTHSC has to offer for students. At orientation, students will be acquainted to University Health Services, Student Academic Services and Inclusion (SASSI), Campus Police, the One Stop Shop, and Information Technology Services (IT). They will also be introduced to the Dean, faculty, and staff. Students will be introduced to Blackboard and all of its components (Safe Assign, Technical Performance Standards, etc.) as well as the importance of HIPPA and FERPA compliance and the Honor Code. Students will also be exposed to study skills and even experience a writing module. Also, students will be familiarized about plagiarism and APA format.

The purpose of orientation in the College of Pharmacy is to introduce incoming students to the College, UTHSC campus, and pharmacy profession.  In the first week of the Co-Curricular 1 class, which begins one week earlier than other P1 courses, new students are oriented to the College of Pharmacy’s Deans, curriculum, faculty, staff, and policies.  Students will learn the importance of complying with professionalism, digital etiquette, HIPPA, FERPA, and the Honor Code.  Additionally, through campus tours  and specific orientation sessions, students will become acquainted with class locations and various University resources such as Financial Aid, Campus Police, University Health Services, One Stop Shop and Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI). Mandatory CPR training, Blackboard, and required software for testing are also included in orientation.  Moreover, entering students will hear further valuable information from current students to assist them in being successful first-year students.  By the close of orientation, students will have gained relevant and comprehensive content regardings expectations, the academic program, and resources to aid them in their UTHSC College of Pharmacy tenure.

One Stop Shop

910 Madison, Room 105
Phone: 901-448-7703

In order to provide a high level of service to students, UTHSC developed a unit called the One Stop Shop to assist with enrollment-related issues. Since its opening in January, 2013, the One Stop Shop has served as the primary destination for students with questions related to financial aid, fee payments, registration, transcript requests, etc. While individual counselors may have more expertise in one area, the staff is continuously cross-trained to enable them to assist you with a wide range of issues. Our goal is to provide prompt and immediate resolution of student issues so that there is no need for multiple visits to offices on campus. Should complex issues arise, staff will consult with other experts within the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar and Bursar to resolve the matter (and these experts will come to the One Stop Student Services location rather than requiring you to come to them).

Students taking courses at locations other than the Memphis campus can access all of the services provided by the One Stop Student Services unit through email, phone (901-448-7703) or by Skype appointment. (To arrange a Skype appointment, please contact One Stop Student Services by phone or email.) Contact onestop@uthsc.edu or any of the specific offices (Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Bursar) for further assistance.

Admissions Office

Ann M. Salina, Director of Admissions Operations
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-5560 or toll free (877) 843-4461


The Office of Admissions actively processes applications for admissions from college sophomore, juniors, seniors, and transfer students, receives applicant supporting materials (transcripts, recommendation forms, proposed plans of study forms, etc.), reviews transcripts for satisfactory completion of program prerequisites, creates electronic files containing all submitted application materials and conducts campus tours for prospective students and their families. The Office of Admissions staff support the efforts of staff and admissions committee members in our six colleges to aid their decision-making process regarding applicants to individual academic programs. For additional information, please visit our website at: http://uthsc.edu/admissions/.

Eligibility Verification Procedure

Read more about the UTHSC Policy for Eligibility Verification at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/eligibility_verification.php.

The UTHSC Immunization Requirements

All immunizations must be up to date for enrollment at UTHSC, and proof of immunizations or immunity is required.

The Hepatitis B immunization series and positive titer are required of all students and you have one academic year to complete this requirement.  You can begin this series during your first semester of enrollment at University Health Services.  If you have completed the Hepatitis B series, you must provide proof of immunity by titer.

All UTHSC students are required to receive the tuberculin skin test annually.  Students who have been vaccinated with Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) and do not provide documentation of a past, positive, tuberculin skin test, are required to have tuberculin screening to determine tuberculosis status.  Persons who test TB skin test positive or have previously tested positive are required to get TB screening through a blood test or chest x-ray as referred by UHS. If this test is reactive, the student will be referred to the Regional One Health for chest x-ray.

NOTE: TB skin tests do not need to be complete before admission.  TB skin tests will be given during registration.

If you have any questions or you need any help in getting your shots up to date, please call us at (901) 448-5630.

NOTE: University Health Services (UHS) can administer any or all of the required vaccinations.  Contact us directly, if you wish to ask questions regarding fees and/or request a vaccination.

MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had the two-shot MMR series, OR
  • You must provide documentation showing a positive titer.

NOTE: A “positive titer” provides verification that you have antibodies present in your system that indicate you (1) have had the disease or (2) have been vaccinated “successfully” against the disease. In either case, a positive titer indicates that you are unlikely to get the disease a second time.

Polio Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had the polio series (aka OPV),

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had an adult TDAP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot).

Hepatitis B Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a three-vaccination Hepatitis B series (aka HBV or HepB), AND
  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a post-series positive titer.

Varicella Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a two-vaccination Varicella series (aka Var or Chicken Pox), OR
  • You must provide documentation showing you have a positive (immune) titer.

Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test

You must provide documentation showing you have had a negative TB Skin Test within the last 3 months.

If you have ever had a positive TB skin test, consult with UHS. T-spot test is available at no charge for students. UHS can refer for a chest x-ray if needed.

All UTHSC students are required to receive the tuberculin skin test annually.  Students who have been vaccinated with Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) and do not provide documentation of a past, positive, tuberculin skin test, are required to have tuberculin screening through a blood assay to determine tuberculosis status. 

All UTHSC students are required to have documentation of a tuberculosis test (TST or IGRA) completed within 3 months prior to their start date. These records must be forwarded to UHS for documentation and approval. New students may elect to have a TST or IGRA test completed at UHS prior to their start date at no cost. Students that test positive or whose documentation show a previous positive result must receive a chest x-ray. The chest x-ray arrangements will be set up through the UHS current vendor. If the chest x-ray is abnormal, then UHS will decide how best to have you evaluated further. This can be done by a specialist in Infectious Disease, Pulmonary Medicine or the Shelby County Health Department. The individual may also be referred to the Shelby County Health Department for medication and sputum testing for smears and culture. TST and IGRA tests results should take no longer than 4 days and the scheduling of a chest x-ray should take no longer than 2 business days.  No student will be able to go on rotation or begin class until all results have been identified and cleared by UHS.  Students that fail to start the process in a timely manner, may have a delayed start date according to their college requirements.

Meningococcal Vaccine (Optional, except for Clinical Laboratory Science students)

If you are a Clinical Laboratory Science student, you must provide documentation showing you have had the Meningitis Vaccine.

University Health Services (UHS) is responsible for determining whether or not the immunization documentation provided is adequate and complete.  UHS is available to administer any required immunizations and lab work for students.

Procedures for Submitting Immunization Documentation

All immunizations must be up to date for enrollment at UTHSC, and proof of immunizations or immunity is required.  University Health Services has a secure web-portal called OpenCommunicator where students can submit their immunization records. Currently enrolled students are notified of immunization deficiencies through OpenCommunicator. 

Enter your net ID and password.
Enter your date of birth.
Click on Forms (at left).
Click on UTHSC Required Immunizations.
Complete this form.

Then, submit copies of your official vaccine documentation to UHS so we can verify your records.

All entering students must complete the steps above and can also submit their documentation by: (a) Mail - University Health Services, 910 Madison Avenue, Suite 922, Memphis, TN 38163, (b) Fax - 901-448-7255, or (c) e-mail - srmartin@uthsc.edu.

Procedure for UTHSC Students:

UTHSC students are required to have certain immunizations which are mandated by their respective colleges, in compliance with state and federal guidelines. Requirements for UTHSC student immunizations are listed in detail on the UHS website. Look under the “Immunizations” tab.

All immunizations and titers must be complete prior to registration. If the student needs an immunization that requires a series of shots, the student is compliant until the next shot or titer is due. If the student needs a titer or TB skin test, the student is not compliant until the results are verified and entered into the electronic medical record system. UHS administers TB skin tests at new student orientation for those who need one.

ALL students must meet these immunization requirements except those students who take less than 9 hours per semester and those who are enrolled in a program that is 100% online and does not include any clinical rotation or patient contact. UHS staff will not have to track the students who are 100% online since their information will not come through the student information system (Banner) feed into our Point and Click system.

Students may request a waiver for one or more immunizations for medical or religious reasons. They are required to complete the “UHS Request for Exemption from Immunization Requirements.” This form must be signed by their college representative and by a medical provider if for medical reasons then submitted to UHS. Prior to registration, all incoming students will have a hold placed on their account.

New students are notified of immunization requirements in multiple ways: (a) UHS website, (b) CenterScope, (c) student acceptance packet, (d) new student orientation.   Existing students are notified of immunization deficiencies through OpenCommunicator.  The link and instructions for OpenCommunicator are on the UHS website - www.uthsc.edu/univhealStudents may submit their documentation by: (a) Mail - University Health Services, 910 Madison Avenue, Suite 922, Memphis, TN 38163, (b) Fax - 901-448-7255, or (c) e-mail - srmartin@uthsc.edu.

Students are requested to enter all of their immunization dates into OpenCommunicator. They must submit the paper documentation to UHS for verification.

After all immunization documentation has been received, verified, and entered into the electronic medical record system by a UHS staff member, the registration hold will be removed. No holds will be removed until the student is compliant. Students must allow 10 working days after submitting their documentation for holds to be removed.

All students are responsible for checking for deficiencies throughout their academic program. Students can easily check for deficiencies through OpenCommunicator. Students should contact UTHSC Help Desk if they are unable to access OpenCommunicator.

Periodic reminders for immunization deficiencies are sent to students through OpenCommunicator.

Procedure for Baptist College of Health Sciences (BCHS) Students:

BCHS students are also required to have certain immunizations which are mandated by their respective colleges, in compliance with state and federal guidelines.

The BCHS coordinator is responsible for the following:

Upon receiving the BCHS student health forms, the BCHS Coordinator enters this data on each BCHS student in the EHR.

The BCHS Coordinator compiles data from the EMR noting BCHS students who are non-compliant and their specific non-compliance. The compiled data is send to the BCHS Registrar who then notifies BCHS students by email. Data is also sent to the Dean of Students and the Dean of Nursing.

If the student health record is incomplete, a registration hold is placed on their account by the BCHS registrar’s office.

The Dean of Nursing notifies clinical students prior to the beginning of and during clinicals of any non-compliance. BCHS students may waiver for one or more immunizations for medical or religious reasons. They are required to complete the “UHS Request for Exemption from Immunization Requirements.” This form must be signed by their college representative and by a medical provider if for medical reasons.

Financial Aid Office

910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163
(901) 448-5568


Goals & Services

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center believes that the cost of education is primarily the responsibility of the student and/or the student’s family. The primary purpose of the Financial Aid Office is to provide financial resources (i.e. Federal Student Aid) to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue their college education/career goals. Therefore the purpose for Federal Student Aid is to fill the gap between the student’s/family’s resources and the student’s cost of attendance. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated need except where funds are specified for recognition of special talents or abilities. Practices and procedures followed by the Financial Aid Administrators ensure fair and equitable treatment for all applicants.

The director and the staff of the office awards financial aid packages, provide helpful information on an individual student basis regarding financial aid opportunities, and cautions students to keep loans at a minimum. The process for obtaining aid is shown below. By following this process, students will be fully considered for most federal, state and institutional aid. However, students are also encouraged to explore additional resources in their communities such as civic organizations, churches, professional associations and employers of either the parent or the student. In addition, some communities, hospitals and health care providers offer student aid in return for service. Most of the sources of financial assistance available to students require that eligibility be established to qualify for the funds. Eligibility is determined through a calculation using information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application takes into account the cost of education and the family’s financial situation. Below is a detailed description of the application process and how each piece of the calculation is derived.

Financial Aid Process

To be eligible for Federal Financial Aid, you are required to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov no later than March 15th. If you are accepted after this date, please file your FAFSA as soon as possible.

By completing the FAFSA application you will be considered for the following Federal Financial Aid:

  • Undergraduate Students- Stafford Loans, Parent PLUS loans, Pell Grant, SEOG Grant
  • Graduate/Professional Students- Stafford Loans and Grad PLUS loans

To be eligible for institutional scholarship funding, please visit your specific college’s website to determine criteria/documents needs/deadlines: http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/apply-accept-manage-aid/apply.php

Needed Documents

Once you have been admitted and a few weeks after you have submitted your FAFSA to apply for financial aid, you may be requested to submit certain documents to our office. These documents might include a request to verify the financial information listed on your FAFSA, proof of your citizenship, documentation that your prior federal loans are not in default, confirmation of your selective service information, etc. It is very important that students submit the requested documents within 45 days of the initial request in order to ensure consideration for the maximum amount of financial aid possible. If any document is requested, it will show on your Banner Financial Aid Self-Service webpage when clicking on the “Eligibility” link and then on the Student Requirements tab. Impacted students will also receive an email informing them of any outstanding requirement.

Documents can be returned to the office in regular mail. However, we strongly encourage students to use UTHSC’s secure email system called UT Vault. When using this email system, please ensure documents are emailed directly to your college’s financial aid counselor.

Calculating Eligibility

Using the information submitted on the FAFSA, the federal processor performs a calculation called “need analysis”. The need analysis is based on a formula developed by Congress. It is used to assess the family’s ability to contribute to the cost of the student’s education, and thus, their need for financial assistance. The result of the calculation is a figure called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). It represents the amount that the federal government feels the family should be able to contribute towards the cost of education. Eligibility for financial aid is the difference between our estimated cost of attendance for your program and your EFC.

Accept Aid

You will receive an email from the financial aid office once your financial aid award offer is available for you to view online. Once you receive this email, please follow these steps to accept/decline your financial aid offer:

Login to Banner Self-Service

  1. Click “Financial Aid”
  2. Click “Award”
  3. Click “Award for Aid Year”
  4. Select aid year
  5. Click “Terms and Conditions”
  6. Accept Terms and Conditions
  7. Click “Accept Award Offer”
  8. Then accept/decline aid offered

With the exception of Federal Stafford loans, if you decline your financial it is not guaranteed that that same aid will be made available to you at a later date. Scholarships and grants are automatically accepted for the student and only loans and federal work study will require the student to accept/decline.

Although there is no deadline to accept the aid offered to you, UTHSC can cancel any award offered after 45 days have passed since the initial email notification. Up until the 15 day of a term, the student can return any loan funds disbursed to them. To do so, the student should send an email to the financial aid office at fao@uthsc.edu with the amount of loan funding they would like to see returned. Please note that this request will likely result in the student owing a balance that will need to be paid to UTHSC.

If there is an external scholarship/grant/resource that you will be receiving that is not already listed on your financial aid award letter, please notify our office by listing that resource on the “Resources/Additional Information” link in Banner Financial Aid Self-Service.

Please note that for most UTHSC programs, financial aid is awarded based on full-time enrollment. If after the census date, a student is found to be below half-time it could result in the financial aid office reducing the student’s cost of attendance and possible reducing the student’s financial aid. Also, if an any UTHSC or external resource is added to a student’s financial aid that causes the student to exceed their cost of attendance, it could also possibly result in the financial aid office reducing the student’s existing financial aid.

Entrance Counseling & MPN

If you have not previously received a Federal Direct Stafford or Federal Parent/Graduate PLUS loan at UTHSC, you must complete Federal Entrance Counseling and a Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN). We encourage students to wait to complete these two items until they have been awarded AND accepted their federal Stafford/PLUS loan for the school year. Once the student has accept the loan, they should visit www.studentloans.gov. If a student prefers to complete a paper MPN, please contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

Although almost all students will be offered a Stafford loan, only a few students might be awarded the Federal Perkins or Federal Health Professions loan. If so, these loans do not require the students to complete an entrance counseling session but they do require a different Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN) be completed. Once a student accepts their Perkins/Health Professions loan, they will be sent an email from HeartlandECSI.net requesting that they complete their promissory note for that particular loan.

Financial Aid Disbursement & Refund

After a student has accept their financial aid and has registered their coursework for the term, their financial aid will show as “anticipated aid” on their student bill about 4 to 6 weeks before the start of the term. Financial aid will officially pay a student’s bill a few days before the start of the student’s courses (which might not be the start of the term). A student should review their coursework they have registered for in Banner Self-Service to determine when their first course starts to determine when their financial aid will pay.

Financial aid must first pay a student’s tuition and fees each term. If excess funds remain after paying these expenses, the student is sent a financial aid refund to help them pay for their books and living expenses. Financial Aid refunds are disbursed to the student’s financial institution on or just before the student’s first day of classes. Please note that it can take a few days for a financial institution to make these funds available to the student.

The student should make sure that they are signed up for direct deposit as that ensure the quickest way for the student to receive a financial aid refund.

Locate Loan Servicers

Federal loan servicers are those entities that collect payments on a federal student loan, responds to customer service inquiries, and performs other administrative tasks associated with maintaining a loan on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (DoE). The DoE has hired many loan servicers. Once you have borrowed a federal loan at UTHSC, you can visit the following website to determine your loan servicer: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/  

Financial Aid Budget

A student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) is determined using several categories. We have attempted to include estimates of all reasonable expenses students are likely to incur during the academic year. Some expenses, such as tuition and fees, are actual costs and others are estimates, ( i.e. room and board). Students can find their estimated cost of attendance on their Banner student web page.

Tuition & Fees

The tuition and fees are specific to your program of study and year of enrollment. The amounts are determined annually by the University Of Tennessee Board Of Trustees and can be found at the following Bursar Office web site http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/colleges_fee_information.php . Students should be aware that annual tuition rates are not finalized until July of each year.

Books & Supplies

The books and supplies category is also specific to your program and year. It includes all required textbooks, instruments, and supplies. Cost estimates are reviewed by each college and/or department annually. An allowance of $500 per term is assumed by the Financial Aid Office unless the college/department can document that their program incurs more than this allowance.

Living Expenses

The allowance for living expenses includes room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. These are estimates of what it may cost a student to live in Memphis while enrolled. Each student’s own actual costs may vary greatly depending on their decisions regarding living arrangements and personal budgeting. The Financial Aid Office strongly encourages the student to carefully review their expected living expenses to ensure that they will fit into the budget designed for them. When reviewing personal budgets, students should leave some margin to cover small unexpected expenses. Living expenses are based on the length of enrollment for the upcoming academic year. Costs for periods of non-enrollment cannot be included.

To view the estimated cost of attendance for each degree program, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/cost/index.php

Types of Financial Aid

Awards, Scholarships & Grants

The Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are both federal need based funds programs that are for undergraduate students only, who do not already have a bachelor’s degree, and requires significant financial need.

All institutional scholarships are awarded by the specific college under which a student is enrolled. The financial aid office is notified of these awards by the colleges and makes them part of the student’s total financial aid award package.

Many states offer merit and/or financial need based grants to students who are eligible. If you are a Tennessee resident, please review the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) website for a list of scholarship and grant opportunities. If you are not a Tennessee resident, please contact your state’s department of education.

Outside scholarship assistance is a good source of potential funding for students. Each scholarship program is administered differently and has different criteria and application procedures. There are a number of websites that can assist you in finding outside scholarship assistance.

For more information on federal, state, and institutional grant/scholarship opportunities and eligibility please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/scholarships-and-grants.php

Not all financial resources provided to a student are classified as a scholarship or grant on the financial aid award. For more information on what is considered a financial aid resource for a student, please see the institution’s Student Payments policy http://policy.tennessee.edu/fiscal_policy/fi0535/.


Federal loan programs common to all disciplines at the University include the Stafford and Perkins loan programs.

The amount of Stafford funding available to students can vary based on the number of months enrolled and the degree program. Most undergraduate students can qualify for as much as $7500 as a dependent student and $12500 as an independent student. Graduate level students can qualify for as much as $20500. Some professional level programs such as Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy can qualify for beyond $38,000 in Stafford loan funding for each school year. To fully accept a Stafford Loan, a master promissory note and an online entrance counseling interview are required,

Unlike Stafford loan funding, Perkins loan funding has several awarding criteria that must be met before a student can be awarded funding.  Those students that qualify can be awarded as much as $5500 for an academic school year.

Other federal loans available to students are the Graduate PLUS and Parent PLUS loans. The Graduate PLUS loan is available only to graduate and professional students. The Parent PLUS loan is available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students. The student can apply for funding up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid already awarded. Unlike the Stafford loans, a credit check is required of the student/parent for these federal loans. If denied, the student/parent will have the opportunity to find a credit worthy endorser to cosign the loan.

For more information on student loans, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/loans.php

Emergency Loans

Students faced with a fiscal emergency may request an emergency loan through their college’s Dean’s Office or through the Financial Aid Office. For details on the process for obtaining an emergency loan, please consult the Bursar’s web site at http://www.uthsc.edu/financeoper/cashier/loan_information.html

Work Study

Work Study is a federal need based financial aid program providing opportunities for students to work part-time while enrolled at the University. Students in all disciplines are eligible. Students who are interested in Work Study must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). More information regarding federal work study can be found at http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/federal-work-study-program.php

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require UTHSC to establish and monitor academic progress standards for students who are federal financial aid applicants. This assessment ensures that any student who receives or applies for financial aid is making progress towards a degree. The student’s total academic history is monitored regardless of whether he/she previously received financial aid. Students are able to view their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status through Banner Self-Service. Any student placed on a warning or suspension will also receive an email notification at the beginning of a term as warranted.

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must meet the Quantitative, Qualitative, and Maximum Timeframe defined by DOE federal regulations. Failure to meet any one of these requirements will result in the loss of federal financial aid. Programs affected by these SAP requirements are: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work Study, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal SEOG, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Loans for Disadvantaged Students, Federal Loans for Health Professions

Quantitative Measure

The quantitative measure for satisfactory academic progress requires that a student must successfully complete 67% of enrolled credit hours. This is measured on a cumulative basis.

Example: If the student enrolls for a total of 24 credit hours the first academic year, the student must satisfactorily complete 16 credit hours (24 credit hours x .67 (67%) = 16 credit hours).

Qualitative Measure

The qualitative measure for satisfactory academic progress requires that a student maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average.

During the entirety of a student’s program, the student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 to 3.00 depending on the degree program in which the student is enrolled and as detailed in UTHSC’s Academic Bulletin.

Maximum Timeframe

An undergraduate student must achieve completion of the academic program in 150% of the published length of the program. Graduate and professional students are considered eligible for financial aid as long as they are meeting the academic requirements set forth for their program as detailed in UTHSC’s Academic Bulletin.

Treatment of Attempted, Failed, Audited, Incomplete, Pass/Fail, Repeated, Transferred, and Withdrawn Credit Hours

Consistent with DOE federal financial aid regulations, UTHSC handles credit hours for SAP assessments as follows:

Attempted Hours: In keeping with the Registrar’s policy, attempted hours include credit hours in which students are enrolled in as of the end of the 14th day of the term (generally known as the “census date”).

Failed credit hours: Included in GPA and attempted but not included in completed credit hours. Grades of “F” and “U” count as failed credit hours.

Earned credit hours: Included in GPA, attempted, and completed credit hours. Grades of “A, B, C, and D” are assigned. “S” grades count as attempted and completed credit hours but does not count in student’s GPA.

Incomplete and withdrawn credit hours: Included in attempted but not included in GPA or completed credit hours. Grades of “I” and “W” are assigned to incomplete and withdrawn credit hours, respectively.

Audited credit hours: Not included in attempted, completed, or in a student’s GPA. A grade of “AU” is assigned to audit credit hours.

Transfer credit hours: Included in attempted and completed credit hours but are not included in the GPA. Grades of “TA,” “TB,” and “TC” are assigned.

Repeated credit hours: Course grades will average for GPA and all course attempts will count towards attempted credit hours but only one course credit will be counted in completed credit hours.

Warning Status

Academic progress will be reviewed following each term to determine if the SAP requirements have been met.

The first term the student fails to meet any requirement for SAP, the student will be placed on “Financial Aid Warning” status. The warning period should be utilized by the student to meet SAP requirements. The student still remains eligible for all federal funding during a warning status. Email notifications will be sent to students who are placed on a warning status at the start of the next term.

Suspension Status

A student failing to show satisfactory progress during the warning period will be placed on “Financial Aid Suspension” status. A student may not receive any federal funds while in a financial aid suspension status.


If special circumstances exist such as the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstance, the student can complete a SAP appeal form to request their financial aid be reinstated. Also, as it relates to maximum timeframe requirement, the following extenuating circumstances will be considered: concurrent majors, change of majors, change of degree program, and transfer credits that do not apply to degree program.

Each SAP appeal for financial aid requires that the student develop an appropriate academic plan in conjunction with their college. The academic plan outlines those quantitative and/or qualitative measures that the student must meet each term. The academic plan remains in place until the student has achieved Satisfactory Academic Progress.

The appeal will be reviewed by a SAP Financial Aid Committee comprised of individuals in the Financial Aid Office and two college representatives. As needed, the Committee will reach out to the student’s degree program to clarify the student’s reasons for not making satisfactory academic progress. The appeal will be reviewed within two weeks of submission to the Financial Aid Office. The student will be emailed the decision either granting or denying reinstatement of his/her Federal financial aid by the Office of Financial Aid. Until a decision is made by the committee, any future decisions of enrollment by the student should be under the assumption that federal financial aid will not be provided and that payment of tuition will be the obligation of the student. Decisions of the Appeals Committee can be appealed in writing to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services within (5) five business days of the Committee email notification.

Probation Status

A successful SAP Appeal will result in the student being moved from “Financial Aid Suspension” to a “Financial Aid Probation” status. This allows the student to continue to receive Federal financial aid for one term or as long as the student is meeting the requirements set forth in their academic plan. The student will be reviewed at the end of their probation term to determine if the student is meeting SAP requirements. If the student is not meeting SAP requirements at the end of the probationary term or is failing to meet the terms of their academic action plan, the student will be moved to a “Financial Aid Suspension” status. Probationary students achieving SAP will have their eligibility for federal aid reinstated and their probationary status removed.

Regaining Eligibility

A student who fails to meet SAP requirements and whose appeal is unsuccessful can regain eligibility for Federal financial aid by completing the number of credit hours necessary to achieve the 67% course completion requirement and minimum cumulative grade point average for the student’s degree program as outlined in UTHSC’s Bulletin. However, this will be at the student’s own expense. When a student believes he/she is meeting SAP requirements, the student must so inform the Financial Aid Office in writing and request a reinstatement of his/her aid eligibility.


The Withdrawal policy details what the student is required to do in order to withdraw from the University. If the student is approved by their college to withdraw, notification will be sent to the Financial Aid Office. Once notified, the Financial Aid office is required to run its return of Title IV Return of Funds process as well as the Bursar’s Office is required to run its Tuition Refund process. It is the net of these two processes that will result in the student owing back some of their financial aid or the student being able to receive a post withdrawal refund:

Return of Title IV Funds Policy- This policy determines how much financial aid will be required to be returned due to a withdrawal.

Tuition Refund Policy- This policy determines how much tuition can be refunded to the student due to a withdrawal.

As detailed in the Return of Title IV policy listed above once a student completes 60% of a term, they have earned the right to keep ALL of the financial aid that paid to their student account. If the student attends less than 60% of the term, then the Financial Aid office will be required to calculate how much financial aid needs returned. The formula used to calculate how much exactly needs to be returned for a student is a bit complicated. Therefore, a student is encouraged to contact their financial aid counselor to discuss.

As also detailed above, the Bursar is required to determine how much tuition can be reduced as a result of the withdrawal. In general, once the student completes 29 or more days of the term, the instiution has earned all of the tuition paid by the student and no reduction of tuition will be made.

Student Loan Code of Conduct

The Higher Education Opportunity Act passed by Congress in 2008 required that all schools that participate in the Title IV loan program must have a Code of Conduct that clearly prohibits conflicts of interest for employees involved with financial aid. The One-Stop Shop and the Financial Aid office adhere to NASFAA’s Statement of Ethical Principals and Code of Conduct.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

As a current or prospective UTHSC student, you have many rights and responsibilities. This list is not exhaustive, but highlights some of the key rights and responsibilities relevant to current policies and procedures. For comprehensive information regarding all university forms, policies, procedures, and programs, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/policies/    

Student’s Rights

  • Privacy of your information (FERPA). All records and information submitted with your application for financial aid are confidential and subject to legal requirements concerning disclosure of such information. More information regarding FERPA and the privacy and release of student information​ can be found at https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/students.php
  • To know the costs: This includes costs for tuition and fees, room and board, as well as the estimates for books and supplies, transportation, and personal and miscellaneous expenses used in determining your financial aid cost of attendance. Learn more about UTHSC’s costs http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/cost/index.php 
  • To be aware of the financial aid programs available to you which includes all federal, state and university financial aid programs as well as the deadlines, eligibility, selection creterion, procedures and forms necessary to apply for these funds. For detailed information, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/
  • To be aware of the student consumer information available to you. Federal regulations require that institutions provide specific consumer information about the school and about financial aid to enrolled and prospective students. Such information includes but is not limited to our current degree programs, our school costs, withdrawal procedure, accreditation and licensure, disability services, aid eligibility for study abroad, transfer credit policies, contact information, and penalties and policies related to copyright infringement. To obtain this and more information, please visit https://www.uthsc.edu/students/consumer_info.php
  • To  know the method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements. Pell-eligible students have the right to know how the school provides for a way for them to purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the students may opt out.
  • To know the terms of any loan received as part of your financial assistance package, a sample loan repayment schedule, the necessity for repaying loans, and the the exit counseling information the school provides
  • To know the general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided to students as part of their financial assistance package.
  • To know the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards you must meet to receive financial aid and the criteria by which those who have failed to maintain SAP may re-establish aid eligibility.
  • The U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to the Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL), Guaranteed Student Loans, and Perkins Loans programs. The Ombudsman Group is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans. Before contacting the Ombudsman Group, be sure to follow Federal Student Aid’s recommendations to resolve the problems with your student loan yourself: Via on-line assistance: http//studentaid.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare; Via telephone:877-557-2575; Via fax: 606-396-4821; Via mail: FSA Ombudsman Group, P.O. Box 1843, Monticello, KY 42633

Student’s Responsibilities

  • To submit all forms required to complete the application process in a timely and accurate manner and maintain copies for your records.
  • To notify UTHSC if you default on federal educational loans.
  • To understand that we award most students financial aid based on a full-time status. If you enroll in less than a full-time status (graduate/professional= 9 credit hours, undergraduate= 12 credit hours) we are required to reduce your cost of attendance. This reduction of aid could occur after you have received your financial refund for the term. If so, you understand that some of that financial aid refund might be owed back to the institution due to your federal funds being reduced.
  • To have read the Federal Notices listed at https://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/important-information/federal-notices.php.
  • To know that certificate or other non-degree granting program are ineligible for federal financial aid such as, but limited to, the Federal Perkins loan, Federal Stafford loan, Federal Graduate PLUS loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant.
  • To notify UTHSC of all resources (especially outside resources) you receive that are not listed on your award letter.
  • To know that federal student aid funds received during the award year will be used solely for educational expenses related to attendance during the year.
  • You agree to notify the Office of Financial Aid if you are incarcerated during any term in which you are receiving financial aid.
  • If after filing your FAFSA you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs, you will notify FAO immediately.
  • Keep UTHSC informed of any change of address, name or marital status while you are a student.
  • To provide complete and correct information. You (and your parent or spouse, where appropriate) must confirm the accuracy of the information you provide. Information found to be incorrect may serve as the basis for increase, decrease or cancellation of aid. Information found to be knowingly falsified may result in disciplinary action or referral to the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Inspector General.
  • To pay any past due balances. Students must pay tuition, all fees and prior term balances by the due date listed on the Statement of Account. This includes the first installment of the Installment Plan. For more information visit https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/.
  • To meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress policies and standards of UTHSC in order to maintain financial aid eligibility. For more information visit https://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/documents/satisfactory-academic-progress-policy.pdf.
  • To repay all loans according to your repayment schedule. You are not eligible for financial aid if you are in default on any federal student loan.
  • To activate your UTHSC email account​. You must activate your UTHSC email account and regularly check your financial aid status, accessible via Banner Self-Service.​

Student Right to Know and Consumer Information

In compliance with Title IV and other Federal and State disclosure laws, UTHSC has developed a webpage that list required consumer information http://www.uthsc.edu/students/consumer_info.php

Financial Literacy Program

The Financial Literacy Information for Graduate/Professional Health Science Students of Today (FLIGHT) program is designed to educate students about their personal finances as well as provide students debt management resources. Students are provided resources as it relates to budgeting, loan repayment, building good credit, and other financially related topics. The UTHSC Financial Aid Office is committed to helping students develop healthy financial habits during and after school. For more information about the FLIGHT program, please visit  http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/flight/budgeting.php 

Bursar’s Office

Byron Porter, Bursar
62 S. Dunlap St
(901) 448-4847


The Bursar’s Office is responsible for generating student bills and collecting student fees. Fees at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center are established by the Board of Trustees and vary according to college program and state residency status. A listing of the current fees by program is available at http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/colleges_fee_information.php. Waivers and discounts are available in special instances http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/discount_waivers.php. Fees may be changed at any time without prior notification to the student and must be paid at the time of registration or will be subject to a penalty charge. One hundred ($100) dollars late fee will be assessed to any student not registered by the end of the first official day of classes. Any student not registered within fourteen days from the first official day of classes will be assessed a five hundred ($500) dollar reenrollment fee in addition to the late fee. All prior charges must be paid in order to enroll for the next term.

Students can view their current bills through Banner Self-Service and visit the Bursar’s website at http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/ for answers to frequently asked questions. Students are encouraged to sign up for electronic fee payments - see http://www.uthsc.edu/banner/info/faqs.php

The UT System has purchased a TouchNet mobile app for smartphones called ‘Mobile Bill + Payment,’ that will allow students to pay tuition bills and fees, monitor account balances, view scheduled payments and payment plan installments, create and manage refund profiles, and get text alerts for new statements and for payment due dates. This app works on any web-capable device and transactions are PCI compliant so there is never a concern about security. In addition, payments are credited in real time so that there is never a wait for accounts to be updated.

Refunds of Fees, Adjustments and Repayments

Refunds & Repayments Policy

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center’s Refunds Policy is available at https://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/awards/refund-policy.php. Please also see the following link for more information on UTHSC Refunds and Repayment Policy: https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/pdfs/refundsrepay_2010_2011.pdf.

Registrar’s Office

Dr. Matthew Moore, Assistant Vice-Chancellor & Registrar
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-7703


The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining all official student academic records and for providing timely and accurate information on course offerings and registration. This office is the official source of information related to student status, for verification of student enrollment and degree completion and for transcript requests. The office also reviews information relating to student residency status to determine eligibility for in-state tuition. Click here for the UT Residency Form for students.

Program Enrollment

In order to successfully enroll in any Program of Study at UTHSC, a student must be officially admitted by her/his respective College and must have agreed to the guidelines of the Program of Study.  In addition, Final University acceptance requires verification from the Office of Admissions the student has submitted all necessary, required documentation. Some of these documents include but are not limited to: criminal background check, verification of immunizations, or receipt of final transcripts from other attended institutions.  Once University acceptance is completed, the student will be directed to login to BANNER SELF SERVICE by their academic advisor to register and enroll agreed upon courses. Student registration and enrollment will take place each term

Foreign Nationals

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) encourages intellectual exchange and highly qualified foreign nationals may be considered for admission to degree programs and/or invited to participate in educational or research programs at UTHSC. All activities addressed in this policy are coordinated by the Director of International Affairs. Additional information for foreign nationals can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/foreign_nationals.php and on the International Affairs web site (http://www.uthsc.edu/international/). College web sites also provide information on exchange opportunities and interested students are encouraged to contact college officials for more information.

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) encourages intellectual exchange.  Highly qualified foreign nationals may be considered for admission to degree programs and/or invited to participate in educational or research programs at UTHSC. All activities addressed in this policy are coordinated by the Director of International Affairs. Additional information for foreign nationals can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/foreign_nationals.php and on the International Affairs web site (http://www.uthsc.edu/international/). College web sites also provide information regarding exchange opportunities.  Interested students are encouraged to contact college officials for more information.

Veterans’ Affairs

Students entitled to Veterans Educational Assistance (G.I. Bill benefits) should contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance. Students enrolled under VA programs are subject to all rules and regulations set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as university regulations. In 2015, the Tennessee General Assembly passed Public Chapter No. 219  related to veteran’s educational benefits. UTHSC acts in compliance with Public Chapter 219 with regard to the determination and administration of educational benefits to those eligible through current VA Programs.  More information on UTHSC’s educational assistance for veterans and military personnel/families see https://www.uthsc.edu/veterans-affairs/index.php .  


Students at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center utilize Banner Self Service to enroll in courses. For many programs, enrollment is limited to a specific series of courses each semester.  Students are advised to work through their College or Department to determine the courses for which they need to register in a future term.  In some programs, courses may be offered in alternate years and students should review the published Bulletin carefully and consult with their College if there are questions regarding the availability of course offerings.

Registration is a two-step process that requires: 1) registering for specific classes, and 2) payment of tuition and fees. Payments must be received by published due dates to avoid late fees as noted below.

Late Registration

Once the registration has closed, students seeking to register for classes must contact the One Stop Shop. Late Registration for courses requires approval, with the level of approval dependent on the time of the request.  Contact the One Stop Shop for questions regarding Late Registration.

Late Registration Fee

A one hundred ($100) dollar Late Registration Fee is assessed to any student enrolling during Late Registration.  

Appeal of Late Registration Fee:

A student may appeal a Late Registration Fee to the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations.

Re-enrollment Fee

If the student fails to pay his/her fees by the 14th day of classes, he/she will be deemed to have withdrawn from the university. To complete Late Registration after the 14th day of classes has passed, the student must pay a five hundred ($500) re-enrollment fee.

Course Drop-Add Policy

UTHSC recognizes absences may be necessary during a portion of an academic program and strives to accommodate such absences to enable students to continue in, and complete their academic programs. Students should be aware, however, it may be difficult for Colleges to provide suitable options for makeup of missed assignments/activities even with short term absences, given the intensity, complexity and fast pace of UTHSC programs. See Course Drop/Add Policy for more information.

Class Attendance Policy

Please review the Class Attendance Policy at:  https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/attendance.php.

Withdrawal Policy

See Withdrawal Policy for more information.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Programs

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are classified as full-time. Students who are enrolled in less than 12 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are reported as full-time. Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 9, 10, or 11 hours are reported as three- quarter time. Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Undergraduate tudents who are enrolled in less than 6 hours are reported as having less-than half-time enrollment. Campus policy regarding credit hours can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/credit_hour.php

Graduate Programs

Graduate students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are classified as full-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in less than 9 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, graduate students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are reported as full-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in 4 hours or less are reported as having less-than-half-time enrollment.

Non degree seeking students and students seeking to audit a course

Some academic programs at UTHSC permit students to register for one or more courses as a non- degree seeking student with the permission of the course instructor. Similarly, a student may be permitted to audit a course with permission. Such options are often limited, however, and fees may apply.


Students may be placed on probation for academic or nonacademic reasons. The process leading to probation for poor academic performance is described in the UTHSC Bulletin - see your specific College section for details. The details related to probation for disciplinary reasons can be found below in the section on the Student Code of Conduct. For more information on probation, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Academic Dismissal

A student who has been formally dismissed from his/her academic program must be reported to the National Clearinghouse, the entity responsible for monitoring eligibility of students for federal student aid. The university will file this report after the College Appeal process has concluded and will record the dismissal from the date of last attendance. Students may appeal an academic dismissal at higher levels, but he/she will no longer be eligible for enrollment or financial assistance, until and unless the dismissal is overturned. If a reversal occurs, the student may reapply for financial aid, but he/she is not guaranteed retroactive financial assistance for the period when he or she was ineligible for aid. For more information on dismissal, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Certification of Enrollment

The Office of the Registrar certifies student enrollment for VA benefits, Social Security benefits, loan deferments, insurance, board applications, etc. through the National Student Clearinghouse. The BANNER information system will communicate with the National Student Clearinghouse and students may contact the clearinghouse at www.studentclearinghouse.org.

Student Records

The official academic record of all students enrolled at UTHSC is maintained in the Office of the Registrar. Requests by a student to review his/her academic record should be directed to the Registrar. The University Transcript is permanent academic record and is released only upon authorization of the student. Students may order transcripts through the National Clearinghouse - see details on the Registrar’s web site. No official transcripts, diplomas, or other educational documents will be provided for a student who has any outstanding obligations to the university.

A valid UTHSC student I.D. or driver’s license is required to view your records.

Student Obligation

Students who do not pay their fees are subject to withdrawal. Any student account that remains unpaid at the end of the term and not paid within thirty (30) days of the end of the term may be remanded to an outside collections agency for assistance in collecting. A collection cost will be added to the amount owed by the student to cover the collection agency cost. In the event the services of an attorney are required in order to collect an unpaid balance, the student shall be responsible for payment of attorney’s fee, plus all court and other collection costs incurred.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) is a federal law that protects the privacy of information contained in students’ education records. FERPA restricts the release of information contained in a student’s education record and access to that record. Unauthorized disclosure of information from a student’s education record or unauthorized access to that information is a form of misconduct.


An “education record” is a record that is directly related to a student and is maintained by the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center (or a party acting on the University’s behalf). An education record can exist in any medium (e.g., e-mail, typewritten, handwritten, audiotape, videotape). Education records do not include “sole possession records,” which are records kept in the sole possession of the maker, used as a personal memory aid, and not revealed to others (e.g., a faculty member’s notes). Education records also do not include employment records, unless employment is conditional upon the individual being a student (e.g., graduate assistants’ employment records are education records protected by FERPA).

A “student” is any person who is, or has been in attendance at the University. For purposes of FERPA, a person becomes a student when the student has been admitted to the University and attends classes (either on-campus or distance learning). FERPA does not apply to records containing information created after the person is no longer a student if the information is not directly related to the individual’s attendance as a student.

“Written consent” means a printed document, voluntarily signed and dated by the student, that specifies the records to be disclosed, the purpose of the disclosure, and the party to whom the disclosure may be made.

“Directory information” is limited to a student’s name, e-mail (university - supplied) address, college, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and student organizations, dates of attendance, classification, degrees and awards received, most recent previous educational institution attended, current enrollment status and electronic thesis and dissertations (ETD). Neither a student’s social security number nor his/her student identification number is directory information.

A “University Official” is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); contractors, consultants, volunteers and other outside parties to whom the institution has outsourced institutional services or functions instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, alumni foundation or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task.

“Legitimate Educational Interest” does not include simply having a curiosity about the academic record or disciplinary proceedings with regard to a student without some legitimate academic reason. Thus, all records of all students are not open to all faculty or staff at the University. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibilities for the University. Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

Release of Student Information

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center shall not disclose information contained in a student’s education record to a third party without the student’s written consent, except under certain limited conditions. Highly sensitive information includes a student’s social security number, race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, academic performance, disciplinary records, and grades.

When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending the University (regardless of age), FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student. Accordingly, parents, spouses, and other family members do not have a right to receive information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent. Faculty members should refer all inquiries from parents or other family members to the Office of the Registrar, who will obtain or confirm the existence of a valid written consent from the student to release information to the parent or other family member. Faculty members should also encourage family members to speak with the student directly.

The University may disclose information contained in a student’s education record without the student’s consent to University officials with “legitimate educational interests.” A University official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review a student’s education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities to the University. Faculty members who request another University employee to release information from a student’s education record shall demonstrate a legitimate educational interest in accessing the information (e.g., to fulfill the duties of an academic advisor). Access to education records shall not be used for any other purpose (e.g., casual conversations among faculty members about students’ grades or other information in students’ education records).

In contrast, “student directory information” may be disclosed to a third party unless the student has expressly requested otherwise, filing an official request with the Office of the Registrar.

Requests for information from a student’s education records from anyone other than the student or a University official with a legitimate educational interest should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

FERPA and Grades

FERPA prohibits faculty members from publicly posting grades by a student’s name, a student’s ID number, a student’s social security number (even the last 4 digits), or any other information that would personally identify the student, without a student’s written consent. This includes posting on websites, bulletin boards, or office doors. A faculty member may post grades by using randomly assigned numbers known only by the faculty member and the individual student as long as the grades are not listed in alphabetical order.

Mailing grades to students is only acceptable if the grades are enclosed in a sealed envelope. Grades shall not be mailed via postcards.

When returning students’ tests or papers, faculty members shall use a system designed to prevent the release of a student’s information to another student. Faculty members shall not leave students’ tests or papers where third parties can view the tests or papers (e.g., leaving tests in a stack for students to sort through).

FERPA and E-Mail

E- mail is an official means of University communication. FERPA does not prohibit the use of e-mail for transmitting FERPA-protected information to a student or authorized third-party. However, like information disclosed over the telephone or via U.S. mail, information disclosed via e-mail can inadvertently be disclosed to someone other than the intended recipient. The University would be held responsible for an inadvertent disclosure.

Faculty members should use e-mail with the amount of caution appropriate to (1) the level of sensitivity of the information being disclosed, (2) the likelihood of inadvertent disclosure to someone other than the intended recipient, and (3) the consequences of inadvertent disclosure to someone other than intended recipient. As a general rule, e-mail should contain the least amount of FERPA- protected information as possible. The subject line of an e-mail should not include FERPA-protected information. The body of an e-mail should not contain highly sensitive FERPA-protected information, such as a student’s social security number. Alternatively, faculty can convey sensitive information to students via encrypted email, providing the password for decrypting the email in a separate message. Faculty can also post sensitive emails in a university account (Xythos, Blackboard) that requires access using a net ID and password.

When using e-mail, faculty members should use their official University e-mail account to transmit FERPA-protected information to students. When sending e-mails, faculty members should send e- mails to students’ official University e-mail addresses.

Letters of Recommendation

Written consent of the student is required before a faculty member writes a letter of recommendation for the student whenever any information to be provided in the letter comes from the student’s education records (grades, GPA, etc.).

Letters of recommendation based solely on a faculty member’s personal knowledge or observation do not require the written consent of the student.

If a letter of recommendation is kept on file by the person writing the recommendation, it becomes a part of the student’s education record and the student has the right under FERPA to read the letter unless the student specifically waived that right.


If the University determines there is an articulable and significant threat to the health and safety of an individual, the institution may disclose information from his/her educational record “to any person whose knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety” on the individual. The Vice Chancellor for Academic, Faculty and Student Affairs shall make this determination.

For questions about FERPA, please contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of the General Counsel.

Annual Notice to Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. Updates are posted annually at the following website:https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/FERPA_2012-2013.php explaining student rights under this law.

These rights include:

· The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (“University”) receives the student’s request for access. To exercise this right, a student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

· The right to request amendments to the student’s education records the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.  A student desiring to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.  If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

· The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; or a contractor, consultant, volunteer, or other outside party to whom the University has outsourced University services or functions that would otherwise be performed by University employees, the party is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of education records, and the party is subject to the same conditions governing the use and redisclosure of education records that apply to other school officials.  A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities to the University. Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

As of January 2012:

· FERPA Annual Notice to Reflect Possible Federal and State Data Collection and Use As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state- supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

· The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Tennessee Health Science Center to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-5901.

· The right to refuse to permit the disclosure of directory information except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Directory information is information contained in a student’s education record that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The University has designated the following as directory information: name, local address, local telephone number, major, class, college, dates of attendance, and degrees awarded. FERPA permits the University to disclose directory information without a student’s consent unless a student, prior to the second Friday after the first day of classes of the term in which the student is enrolled, notifies the Office of Enrollment Services in writing of his or her desire to restrict directory information from being published. The FERPA policy is available at: https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/FERPA-student-notice.php .

Partners In Education (PIE)

Partners In Education was designed to strengthen the relationship between the student, the family, and The University of Tennessee Health Science Center with the goal of improving the academic success and retention of students.

Through the Partners in Education program, families may seek answers to questions arising throughout the year, receiving information and suggestions allowing them to provide effective support for their student. Since the information to be shared is protected by FERPA, this information can only be shared if the student signs a release waiver. Once this is signed, families have access to the following:

A. Academic Records As a member of the PIE program, a designated family member will have unrestricted access to a student’s academic records. Additionally, the designee will be contacted by the University if their student reports to the University that s/he is the victim of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, and/or if their student is under the age of 21 and is found responsible for alcohol- and/or drug-related offenses. For specific questions regarding a student’s academic records contact the Office of the Registrar at 901.448.7703.

B. Telephone Assistance: When questions, concerns, or problems arise, members may call the Office of the Registrar, at 901.448.2495, Monday through Friday, during the hours of 8:00AM to 5:00PM.

C. Joining Partners In Education To become a member of Partners In Education, a student must sign and return the Student Release/Withdrawal of Confidential Information form. The release does not apply to personal counseling, health, or financial information protected by FERPA; however, if students are experiencing problems in these areas, UTHSC staff will assist in identifying available resources. The student has the right to withdraw the release at any time.

Name & Address Changes

Students should utilize Banner Self-Service to complete address changes. Once a student has utilized Self-Service, an automated notification of the change is made to the Offices of Enrollment Services, Bursar, and Dean’s Office of the student’s respective College. Prompt notification of change of address will help to assure receipt of official communications. 

Changes in permanent address cannot be made without formal review and approval from the Registrar’s Office. Such changes, if approved, require documentation as to where the student has established permanent domicile (consult with the Registrar regarding the process and documentation requirements).

Name changes will be recorded within the Office of the Registrar with approved, official documentation.  Name changes are made in “real-time” to official class rosters.  Graduating students who change their names must notify the Registrar as soon as possible to assure their diploma reflects their correct name.

Residency Classification Information

General Principles regarding Residency Classification

The University of Tennessee Board of Trustees adopted revised residency requirements in February, 2015. These revised requirements are effective beginning August 25, 2015. UTHSC also compliances with Public Chapter No. 219 . See link to Tennessee Public Chapter 219 at http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0219.pdf.  Applicants to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center are classified as “in-state” or “out-of- state” for the purpose of admission and payment of fees based upon the address provided as the permanent address on the student’s application for admission. As a state-assisted institution, UTHSC gives priority consideration in its professional programs to residents of the State of Tennessee. In many programs, restrictions apply to applications from out-of-state.


(I) “Public higher education institution” shall mean a university or community college supported by appropriations made by the Legislature of this State.

(2) “Residence” shall mean continuous physical presence and maintenance of a dwelling place within this State, provided that absence from the State for short periods of time shall not affect the establishment of a residence.

(3) “Domicile ” shall mean a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation; it is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish or having established a new domicile elsewhere. Undocumented aliens cannot establish domicile in Tennessee, regardless of length of residence in Tennessee.

(4) “Emancipated person” shall mean a person who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years and whose parents have entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody, and earnings of such person are no longer under any legal obligation to support or maintain such person.

(5) “Parent” shall mean a person’s father or mother. If there is a non-parental guardian or legal custodian of an unemancipated person, then “parent” shall mean such guardian or legal custodian; provided that there are not circumstances indicating that such guardianship or custodianship was created primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an in-state student on such emancipated person.

(6) “Continuous enrollment” or “continuously enrolled ” shall mean enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions of this State as a full-time student, as such term is defined by the governing body of said public higher education institution or institutions, for a normal academic year or years or the appropriate portion or portions thereof since the beginning of the period for which continuous enrollment is claimed. Such person need not enroll in summer sessions or other such inter-sessions beyond the normal academic year in order that his or her enrollment be deemed continuous.  Enrollment shall be deemed continuous notwithstanding lapses in enrollment occasioned solely by the scheduling of the commencement and/or termination of the academic years, or appropriate portion thereof, of the public higher educational institutions in which such person enrolls. (7) “U.S. Armed Forces” shall mean the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. (8) “Veteran” means: (a)  A former member of the U.S. Armed Forces  (b)  A former or current member of a reserve or Tennessee national guard unit who was called into active military service of the United States, as defined in Tennessee Code Annotated 58-1-102.

Rules for Determination of Status

(I) Every person having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes. (2) Every person not having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “out-of-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes. (3)  The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of his or her parent, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03. Unemancipated students of divorced parents shall be classified “in-state” when one (1) parent, regardless of custodial status, is domiciled in Tennessee, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03. (4)  A student shall be classified as “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes if the student is a citizen of

the United States, has resided in Tennessee for at least one (1) year immediately prior to admission, and has:(a)  Graduated from a Tennessee public secondary school (b) Graduated from a private secondary school that is located in Tennessee; or (c)  Earned a Tennessee high school equivalency diploma. (5)  The spouse of a student classified as “in-state” shall also be classified as “in-state”. (6)  All classifications shall be subject to the Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 4-58-101 et seq.

Out-of-state Students who are NOT Required to Pay Out-Of-State Tuition

(I)  An unemancipated, currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should his or her parent, having theretofore been domiciled in the State, remove from the State. However, such student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be treated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his or her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.

(2)  An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this State but is a member of the armed forces and stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he or she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his or her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders.

(3)  Part-time students who are not domiciled in this State but who are employed full-time in the State shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This shall apply to part-time students who are employed in the State by more than one employer, resulting in the equivalent of full-time employment.

(4)  A member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty for more than thirty (30) days and who has a permanent duty station in the State of Tennessee (or the spouse or dependent child of such a member) who should be classified out-of-state in accordance with other provisions of these regulations will be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition.  This provision shall continue to apply to such a member, spouse, or dependent child while continuously enrolled at that public higher education institution, notwithstanding a subsequent change in the permanent duty station of the member to a location outside of the state.

(5)  A person who is domiciled in the Kentucky counties of Fulton, Hickman, or Graves shall be classified out-of-state and shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition at The University of Tennessee at Martin if qualified for admission. This exemption is on condition that Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky, continue to admit Tennessee residents from selected Tennessee counties to enroll at that institution without payment of out-of-state tuition.

(6)  Any dependent child not domiciled in Tennessee but who qualifies and is selected to receive a scholarship under the “Dependent Children Scholarship Act” (T.C.A. § 49-4-704) because his or her parent is a law enforcement officer, fireman, or emergency medical service technician who was killed or totally and permanently disabled while performing duties within the scope of employment, shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition .

(7)  A veteran enrolled in any public institution of higher education in this state shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition or any out-of-state fee, if the veteran:

(a) Has not been dishonorably discharged from a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces or the national guard;                                                                                                                               

(b) Is eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits of Montgomery GI Bill benefits; and

(c) Enrolls in a public institution of higher education, after satisfying all admission requirements, within twenty-four (24) months after the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214, or an equivalent document.

To continue to qualify for in-state tuition and fees under this subsection, a veteran shall;

(a)  Maintain continuous enrollment (as defined by the public institution of higher education in which the veteran is enrolled); and (b)  Within one (1) year of enrolling in the public institution of higher education: (A)  Register to vote in the state of Tennessee; or (B)  Demonstrate by objective evidence intent to be a resident of the state of Tennessee by obtaining at least two (2) of the following: (i) A Tennessee Driver’s License (ii) A Tennessee Motor Vehicle registration (iii) Proof of established employment in the state of Tennessee; or (iv) Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in this state as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

(8)  Students not domiciled in Tennessee but who are selected to participate in specified institutional undergraduate Honors Programs specified by the public education higher education institution in which the student is enrolled shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay Out-of State tuition .

(9) A “covered individual under the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, Public Law 113-146, who maintains continuous enrollment at the same public institution of higher education.


Unless the contrary appears from clear and convincing evidence, it shall be presumed that an emancipated person does not acquire domicile in this State while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at any public or private higher educational institution in this State, as such status is defined by such institution.

Evidence Considered for Establishment of Domicile

If a person asserts that he or she has established domicile in this State he or she has the burden of proving that he or she has done so. Such a person is entitled to provide to the public higher educational institution by which he seeks to be classified or reclassified in-state, any and all evidence which he or she believes will sustain his or her burden of proof. Said institution will consider any and all evidence provided to it concerning such claim of domicile but will not treat any particular type or item of such evidence as conclusive evidence that domicile has or has not been established.

Residency Information for Foreign Students

A. In general, if you are an international student, you cannot qualify for in-state status, because most visas include a clause defining conditions that may require return to your country of origin. In such cases, you cannot establish permanent domicile in Tennessee and cannot be granted in-state status. This situation changes if you become a permanent resident (e.g., obtain a ‘green card’).

B. If you are a non-citizen and you satisfy the conditions of your visa or if you obtain permanent residency, you can request review for reclassification as an in-state student. However, you

would then have to meet the same residency requirements that are expected of other applicants to UTHSC.

C. Unless your spouse is an in-state student, your residency will not be affected by the residency of your spouse. Rather the University will examine accumulated evidence related to your own individual situation.

Residency FAQs For additional information, please visit our website at: http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php. UTHSC complies with Tennessee Public Chapter 219, “Classifying Students In-State and Out-of-State”, adopted April 20, 2015. See link to Tennessee Public Chapter 219 at http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0219.pdf.

Appeal Process

The classification officer of each public higher educational institution shall be responsible for initially classifying students “in-state’ or “out-of-state “. Appropriate procedures shall be established by each such institution by which a student may appeal his or her initial classification. To view the appeals process, please visit our website at http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php

Effective Date for Reclassification

If a student classified out-of-state applies for in-state classification and is subsequently so classified his or her in-state classification shall be effective as of the date on which reclassification was sought. However, out-of-state tuition will be charged for any semester during which reclassification is sought and obtained unless application for reclassification is made to the classification officer on or before the last day of regular registration of that semester.

Residency Classification Scenarios

For residency classification scenarios, please visit our website at http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php

Misconduct Records & Notifications

Confidential records of all misconduct reports, investigations, and disciplinary actions are maintained in the Office of Student Affairs/Enrollment Services. The University of Tennessee Health Science Center follows the guide for good practice in the recording of disciplinary actions recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the American Personnel Association, National Association of Women Deans and Counselors, and National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. These agencies recommend: “That the official education record (permanent records) should contain all entries of disciplinary actions which suspend or dismiss the student or restrict, limit, or condition the student’s eligibility to return or reregister in the college. In such cases the educational record should indicate clearly action taken as disciplinary in contrast with academic dismissal and suspension. The records do not indicate the nature of the behavior which occasioned disciplinary action. Except in the case of error or injustice, no entry on the official records should be physically removed.”