Jun 14, 2024  
2018-2019 CenterScope (Student Handbook) (Mid-year Ed.) 
2018-2019 CenterScope (Student Handbook) (Mid-year Ed.) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services

University Academic Calendar

The University Academic Calendar and detailed Calendars for each college and their respective programs can be found at https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/academic_calendar.php.

New Student Orientation (2018 - 2019)

The purpose of the new student orientation (NSO) at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) is to ensure that new students have a successful transition and integration into the UTHSC community. The program promotes discussion among new students, continuing students, and faculty and staff on the expectations and perceptions of the campus community. Incoming students should contact the admissions office of their respective colleges for New Student Orientation schedules and dates. You may also contact an Admissions Counselor or the UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions [Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] for more information. 

By attending orientation students will:
•    Gain more knowledge of student support services, the service unit within their respective College, and the UTHSC academic experience.
•    Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending UTHSC.
•    Reduce anxiety about the transition to medical, dental, or nursing school.
•    Reinforce the necessity of students taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process.

Things to do on-line before NSO week

  • Complete the FAFSA.
  • In order to finalize your acceptance, the institution requires that ALL students be fully admitted to the University. The UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions [Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] will contact you regarding your NetiD and default password which may take 2-3 weeks from the time you have received your acceptance packet. Once you receive your NetiD and default password you can log-in to Banner Self-Service to begin the acceptance process. By completing the acceptance process, this will enable you to be awarded financial aid and register for classes prior to matriculation. All incoming students except those in the College of Graduate Health Sciences will be asked to authorize a $75.00 charge to their credit card. The $75.00 processing fee is non-refundable.
  • View the Bursar’s/Cashier’s link to include: [1] Student Loans; [2] Payment of Fees and First Year Expenses.
  • Read about and then complete the required Information Security Training


  • Complete Student Parking Permit.

Things to read before NSO week

Things to mail-in or send via FAX before NSO week

Things to bring with you to NSO week

  • Bring funds to pay for student parking, unless you included this fee on your fee sheet.
  • Bring copies of your immunization records just in case your copy is not on file.

Things to do during the summer

Related Sources

Additional Contact Information

Note:  Each college or program may have specific Orientation reminders or tasks.  Please refer to information from your program office for details.

The purpose of orientation in the College of Nursing for newly admitted students is to show what UTHSC has to offer for students. At orientation, students will be acquainted to University Health Services, Student Academic Services and Inclusion (SASSI), Campus Police, the One Stop Shop, and Information Technology Services (IT). They will also be introduced to the Dean, faculty, and staff. Students will be introduced to Blackboard and all of its components (Safe Assign, Technical Performance Standards, etc.) as well as the importance of HIPPA and FERPA compliance and the Honor Code. Students will also be exposed to study skills and even experience a writing module. Also, students will be familiarized about plagiarism and APA format.

The purpose of orientation in the College of Pharmacy is to introduce incoming students to the College, UTHSC campus, and pharmacy profession.  In the first week of the Co-Curricular 1 class, which begins one week earlier than other P1 courses, new students are oriented to the College of Pharmacy’s Deans, curriculum, faculty, staff, and policies.  Students will learn the importance of complying with professionalism, digital etiquette, HIPPA, FERPA, and the Honor Code.  Additionally, through campus tours  and specific orientation sessions, students will become acquainted with class locations and various University resources such as Financial Aid, Campus Police, University Health Services, One Stop Shop and Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI). Mandatory CPR training, Blackboard, and required software for testing are also included in orientation.  Moreover, entering students will hear further valuable information from current students to assist them in being successful first-year students.  By the close of orientation, students will have gained relevant and comprehensive content regardings expectations, the academic program, and resources to aid them in their UTHSC College of Pharmacy tenure.

One Stop Shop

910 Madison, Room 105
Phone: 901-448-7703

In order to provide a high level of service to students, UTHSC developed a unit called the One Stop Shop to assist with enrollment-related issues. Since its opening in January, 2013, the One Stop Shop has served as the primary destination for students with questions related to financial aid, fee payments, registration, transcript requests, etc. While individual counselors may have more expertise in one area, the staff is continuously cross-trained to enable them to assist you with a wide range of issues. Our goal is to provide prompt and immediate resolution of student issues so that there is no need for multiple visits to offices on campus. Should complex issues arise, staff will consult with other experts within the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar and Bursar to resolve the matter (and these experts will come to the One Stop Student Services location rather than requiring you to come to them).

Students taking courses at locations other than the Memphis campus can access all of the services provided by the One Stop Student Services unit through email, phone (901-448-7703) or by Skype appointment. (To arrange a Skype appointment, please contact One Stop Student Services by phone or email.) Contact onestop@uthsc.edu or any of the specific offices (Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Bursar) for further assistance.

Admissions Office

Ann M. Salina, Director of Admissions Operations
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-5560 or toll free (877) 843-4461


The Office of Admissions processes applications for graduate and undergraduate students at UTHSC. The Office of Admissions receives the applicants’ supporting materials (transcripts, recommendation forms, proposed plans of study forms, etc.), reviews transcripts for satisfactory completion of program prerequisites, creates electronic files containing all submitted application materials, and conducts campus tours for prospective students and their families. The Office of Admissions staff supports the efforts of the admissions teams in our six colleges to aid their decision-making process regarding applicants to individual academic programs. For additional information, please visit our website at: http://uthsc.edu/admissions/.

Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act Procedure

Read more about the UTHSC Policy for Eligibility Verification at 


Student Immunizations

The University of Tennessee and the State of Tennessee require certain immunizations be obtained for enrollment/registration purposes. A hold has been placed on all new student accounts until your immunization records are recorded and complete. 

All students must meet these immunization requirements EXCEPT those students who take less than 9 hours per semester or those who are enrolled in a program that is 100% online and does not include any clinical rotation or patient contact.

Students may choose to waiver for one or more immunizations for medical or religious reasons. The UHS Request for Exemption from Immunization Requirements Form must be completed and signed by their college representative and by a medical provider if for medical reasons. The completed form is to be uploaded by the student to each corresponding immunization in the Qualified First account. 

To learn more about student immunizations, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.

How do I submit my immunization records?

New and returning students will use Qualified First, Inc. Instructions and a code specific to the students program will be communicated directly to the student.

For returning students who were enrolled prior to June 1, 2018, in need of previous immunization records from UHS to upload to their Qualified First account, please use the PNC Portal.

  1. Enter your net ID and password.
  2. Enter your date of birth.
  3. Click on Forms (at left).
  4. Click on UTHSC Required Immunizations.

Required Immunizations

MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Series

You must provide documentation showing you have had the two-shot MMR series, OR you must provide documentation showing a positive titer.

NOTE: A “positive titer” provides verification that you have antibodies present in your system that indicate you (1) have had the disease or (2) have been vaccinated “successfully” against the disease. In either case, a positive titer indicates that you are unlikely to get the disease a second time.

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot

You must provide documentation showing you have had an adult TDAP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot) within the past 10 years. DTAP is not acceptable (this is a childhood vaccine). TD is not acceptable. It must contain the Pertussis. If your TDAP is older than 10 years, students must get a TDAP booster.

Hepatitis B Series

The Hepatitis B immunization series and positive titer are required of all students and you have one academic year to complete this 3 shot series requirement.  You must begin this series before enrollment at UTHSC.  If you have completed the Hepatitis B series, you must also provide proof of immunity by titer.

You must provide documentation showing you have had a three-vaccination Hepatitis B series (aka HBV or Hep B), AND

You must provide documentation showing you have had a post-series positive titer. If you have a negative titer, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that the series be repeated once. If the repeat titer remains negative, no further shots are recommended.

Varicella Series

You must provide documentation showing you have had a two-vaccination Varicella series (aka Var or Chicken Pox), OR you must provide documentation showing you have a positive (immune) titer.

Polio Series

You must provide documentation showing you have had the polio series (aka OPV).

Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test

All UTHSC students are required to have documentation of tuberculosis screening completed within 1 year prior to their start date. These records must be forwarded to Qualified First for documentation and approval. New students may elect to have a tuberculin skin test (TST) or interferon- gamma ray assay (IGRA) test completed at UHS prior to their start date. Students who have been vaccinated with the Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) and do not have a history of a positive tuberculosis screening are required to have screening through a blood assay to determine screening status.

All UTHS students are required to have tuberculosis screening annually. 

Students with a positive tuberculosis screen will need to provide documentation of a negative chest x-ray and an absence of symptoms evaluation by their healthcare provider to Qualified First. These services are available through UHS.

No student will be able to begin class or go on rotation until all results have been identified and cleared by Qualified First.  A hold will be placed on all student accounts that fail to complete this process in a timely manner.

Influenza Vaccine

College of Pharmacy

College of Pharmacy students must obtain the flu shot every year. 

Pharmacy students are not required to provide documentation of the influenza vaccine until the fall flu season.

College of Dentistry

College of Dentistry students must obtain the flu shot every year.

Dentistry students are not required to provide documentation of the influenza vaccine until the fall flu season.

Physician Assistant Students

If you are a Physician Assistant Student, you must provide documentation showing you have had a flu shot every year. Entering Physician Assistant Students must provide documentation of influenza vaccine at time of admission to the Spring semester as this falls during the flu season.

Other Programs

Many students in other colleges may be required to get a flu shot before beginning rotations at clinical sites. UTHSC provides flu shots for the entire campus at the annual Flu Shot Day in the fall at no cost.

Meningococcal Vaccine (Optional, except for Clinical Laboratory Science students)

If you are a Clinical Laboratory Science student, you must provide documentation showing you have had the Meningitis Vaccine.

University Health Services (UHS) is responsible for determining whether or not the immunization documentation provided is adequate and complete.  UHS is available to administer any required immunizations and lab work for students.


Procedure for Baptist College of Health Sciences (BCHS) Students:

BCHS students are also required to have certain immunizations which are mandated by their respective colleges, in compliance with state and federal guidelines.

The BCHS coordinator is responsible for the following:

Upon receiving the BCHS student health forms, the BCHS Coordinator enters this data on each BCHS student in the EHR.

The BCHS Coordinator compiles data from the EMR noting BCHS students who are non-compliant and their specific non-compliance. The compiled data is send to the BCHS Registrar who then notifies BCHS students by email. Data is also sent to the Dean of Students and the Dean of Nursing.

If the student health record is incomplete, a registration hold is placed on their account by the BCHS registrar’s office.

The Dean of Nursing notifies clinical students prior to the beginning of and during clinicals of any non-compliance. BCHS students may waiver for one or more immunizations for medical or religious reasons. They are required to complete the “UHS Request for Exemption from Immunization Requirements.” This form must be signed by their college representative and by a medical provider if for medical reasons.


General Principles regarding Residency Classification

The University Of Tennessee Board Of Trustees adopted revised residency requirements in February 2015. These revised requirements are effective beginning August 25, 2015. UTHSC also compliances with Public Chapter No. 219. See link to Tennessee Public Chapter 219 at http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0219.pdf.  Applicants to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center are classified as “in-state” or “out-of- state” for the purpose of admission and payment of fees based upon the address provided as the permanent address on the student’s application for admission. As a state-assisted institution, UTHSC gives priority consideration in its professional programs to residents of the State of Tennessee. In many programs, restrictions apply to applications from out-of-state.



(I) “Public higher education institution” shall mean a university or community college supported by appropriations made by the Legislature of this State.

(2) “Residence” shall mean continuous physical presence and maintenance of a dwelling place within this State, provided that absence from the State for short periods of time shall not affect the establishment of a residence.

(3) “Domicile” shall mean a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation; it is the place where he or she intends to remain, and to which he or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish or having established a new domicile elsewhere. Undocumented aliens cannot establish domicile in Tennessee, regardless of length of residence in Tennessee.

(4) “Emancipated person” shall mean a person who has attained the age of twenty-four (24) years and whose parents have entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody, and earnings of such person are no longer under any legal obligation to support or maintain such person.

(5) “Parent” shall mean a person’s father or mother. If there is a non-parental guardian or legal custodian of an unemancipated person, then “parent” shall mean such guardian or legal custodian; provided that there are not circumstances indicating that such guardianship or custodianship was created primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an in-state student on such emancipated person.

(6) “Continuous enrollment” or “continuously enrolled ” shall mean enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions of this State as a full-time student, as such term is defined by the governing body of said public higher education institution or institutions, for a normal academic year or years or the appropriate portion or portions thereof since the beginning of the period for which continuous enrollment is claimed. Such person need not enroll in summer sessions or other such inter-sessions beyond the normal academic year in order that his or her enrollment be deemed continuous.  Enrollment shall be deemed continuous notwithstanding lapses in enrollment occasioned solely by the scheduling of the commencement and/or termination of the academic years, or appropriate portion thereof, of the public higher educational institutions in which such person enrolls.

(7) “U.S. Armed Forces” shall mean the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.

(8) “Veteran” means:

 (a)  A former member of the U.S. Armed Forces 

 (b)  A former or current member of a reserve or Tennessee National Guard unit who was called into active     military service of the United States, as defined in Tennessee Code Annotated 58-1-102.

Rules for Determination of Status

(I) Every person having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.

(2) Every person not having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “out-of-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.

 (3)  The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of his or her parent, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03. Unemancipated students of divorced parents shall be classified “in-state” when one (1) parent, regardless of custodial status, is domiciled in Tennessee, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03.

(4)  A student shall be classified as “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes if the student is a citizen of

the United States, has resided in Tennessee for at least one (1) year immediately prior to admission, and has:

(a)  Graduated from a Tennessee public secondary school

(b) Graduated from a private secondary school that is located in Tennessee; or

(c)  Earned a Tennessee high school equivalency diploma.

(5)  The spouse of a student classified as “in-state” shall also be classified as “in-state”.

(6)  All classifications shall be subject to the Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 4-58-101 et seq.

Out-of-state Students who are NOT Required to Pay Out-Of-State Tuition

(I)  An unemancipated, currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should his or her parent, having theretofore been domiciled in the State, remove from the State. However, such student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be treated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his or her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.

(2)  An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this State but is a member of the armed forces and stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he or she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his or her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders.

(3)  Part-time students who are not domiciled in this State but who are employed full-time in the State shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This shall apply to part-time students who are employed in the State by more than one employer, resulting in the equivalent of full-time employment.

(4)  A member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty for more than thirty (30) days and who has a permanent duty station in the State of Tennessee (or the spouse or dependent child of such a member) who should be classified out-of-state in accordance with other provisions of these regulations will be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition.  This provision shall continue to apply to such a member, spouse, or dependent child while continuously enrolled at that public higher education institution, notwithstanding a subsequent change in the permanent duty station of the member to a location outside of the state.

(5)  A person who is domiciled in the Kentucky counties of Fulton, Hickman, or Graves shall be classified out-of-state and shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition at The University of Tennessee at Martin if qualified for admission. This exemption is on condition that Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky, continue to admit Tennessee residents from selected Tennessee counties to enroll at that institution without payment of out-of-state tuition.

(6)  Any dependent child not domiciled in Tennessee but who qualifies and is selected to receive a scholarship under the “Dependent Children Scholarship Act” (T.C.A. § 49-4-704) because his or her parent is a law enforcement officer, fireman, or emergency medical service technician who was killed or totally and permanently disabled while performing duties within the scope of employment, shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition .

(7)  A veteran enrolled in any public institution of higher education in this state shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition or any out-of-state fee, if the veteran:

(a) Has not been dishonorably discharged from a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces or the national guard;                                                                                                                               

(b) Is eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits of Montgomery GI Bill benefits; and

(c) Enrolls in a public institution of higher education, after satisfying all admission requirements, within twenty-four (24) months after the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214, or an equivalent document.

To continue to qualify for in-state tuition and fees under this subsection, a veteran shall;

(a)  Maintain continuous enrollment (as defined by the public institution of higher education in which the veteran is enrolled); and

 (b)  Within one (1) year of enrolling in the public institution of higher education:

(A)  Register to vote in the state of Tennessee; or

(B)  Demonstrate by objective evidence intent to be a resident of the state of Tennessee by obtaining at least        two (2) of the following:

(i) A Tennessee Driver’s License

(ii) A Tennessee Motor Vehicle registration

(iii) Proof of established employment in the state of Tennessee; or

(iv) Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in this state as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

(8)  Students not domiciled in Tennessee but who are selected to participate in specified institutional undergraduate Honors Programs specified by the public education higher education institution in which the student is enrolled shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition.

(9) A “covered individual under the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, Public Law 113-146, who maintains continuous enrollment at the same public institution of higher education.


Unless the contrary appears from clear and convincing evidence, it shall be presumed that an emancipated person does not acquire domicile in this State while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at any public or private higher educational institution in this State, as such status is defined by such institution.

Evidence Considered for Establishment of Domicile

If a person asserts that he or she has established domicile in this State he or she has the burden of proving that he or she has done so. Such a person is entitled to provide to the public higher educational institution by which he seeks to be classified or reclassified in-state, any and all evidence which he or she believes will sustain his or her burden of proof. Said institution will consider any and all evidence provided to it concerning such claim of domicile but will not treat any particular type or item of such evidence as conclusive evidence that domicile has or has not been established.

Residency Information for Foreign Students

A. In general, if you are an international student, you cannot qualify for in-state status, because most visas include a clause defining conditions that may require return to your country of origin. In such cases, you cannot establish permanent domicile in Tennessee and cannot be granted in-state status. This situation changes if you become a permanent resident (e.g., obtain a ‘green card’).

B. If you are a non-citizen and you satisfy the conditions of your visa or if you obtain permanent residency, you can request review for reclassification as an in-state student. However, you would then have to meet the same residency requirements that are expected of other applicants to UTHSC.

C. Unless your spouse is an in-state student, your residency will not be affected by the residency of your spouse. Rather the University will examine accumulated evidence related to your own individual situation.

Appeal Process

The classification officer of each public higher educational institution shall be responsible for initially classifying students “in-state’ or “out-of-state “. Appropriate procedures shall be established by each such institution by which a student may appeal his or her initial classification. To view the appeals process, please visit our website at http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php

Effective Date for Reclassification

If a student classified out-of-state applies for in-state classification and is subsequently so classified his or her in-state classification shall be effective as of the date on which reclassification was sought. However, out-of-state tuition will be charged for any semester during which reclassification is sought and obtained unless application for reclassification is made to the classification officer on or before the last day of regular registration of that semester.


Financial Aid Office

Lechelle Davenport, Financial Aid Director 

910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163
(901) 448-5568


Goals & Services

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center believes that the cost of education is primarily the responsibility of the student and/or the student’s family. The primary purpose of the Financial Aid Office is to provide financial resources (i.e. Federal Student Aid) to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue their college education/career goals. Therefore the purpose for Federal Student Aid is to fill the gap between the student’s/family’s resources and the student’s cost of attendance. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated need except where funds are specified for recognition of special talents or abilities. Practices and procedures followed by the Financial Aid Administrators ensure fair and equitable treatment for all applicants.

The director and the staff of the office awards financial aid packages, provide helpful information on an individual student basis regarding financial aid opportunities, and cautions students to keep loans at a minimum. The process for obtaining aid is shown below. By following this process, students will be fully considered for most federal, state and institutional aid. However, students are also encouraged to explore additional resources in their communities such as civic organizations, churches, professional associations and employers of either the parent or the student. In addition, some communities, hospitals and health care providers offer student aid in return for service. Most of the sources of financial assistance available to students require that eligibility be established to qualify for the funds. Eligibility is determined through a calculation using information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application takes into account the cost of education and the family’s financial situation. Below is a detailed description of the application process and how each piece of the calculation is derived.

Financial Aid Process

To be eligible for Federal Financial Aid, you are required to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov no later than March 15th. If you are accepted after this date, please file your FAFSA as soon as possible.

By completing the FAFSA application you will be considered for the following Federal Financial Aid:

  • Undergraduate Students- Stafford Loans, Parent PLUS loans, Pell Grant, SEOG Grant
  • Graduate/Professional Students- Stafford Loans and Grad PLUS loans

To be eligible for institutional scholarship funding, please visit your specific college’s website to determine criteria/documents needs/deadlines: http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/apply-accept-manage-aid/apply.php

Needed Documents

Once you have been admitted and a few weeks after you have submitted your FAFSA to apply for financial aid, you may be requested to submit certain documents to our office. These documents might include a request to verify the financial information listed on your FAFSA, proof of your citizenship, documentation that your prior federal loans are not in default, confirmation of your selective service information, etc. It is very important that students submit the requested documents within 45 days of the initial request in order to ensure consideration for the maximum amount of financial aid possible. If any document is requested, it will show on your Banner Financial Aid Self-Service webpage when clicking on the “Eligibility” link and then on the Student Requirements tab. Impacted students will also receive an email informing them of any outstanding requirement.

Documents can be returned to the office in regular mail. However, we strongly encourage students to use UTHSC’s secure email system called UT Vault. When using this email system, please ensure documents are emailed directly to your college’s financial aid counselor.

Calculating Eligibility

Using the information submitted on the FAFSA, the federal processor performs a calculation called “need analysis”. The need analysis is based on a formula developed by Congress. It is used to assess the family’s ability to contribute to the cost of the student’s education, and thus, their need for financial assistance. The result of the calculation is a figure called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). It represents the amount that the federal government feels the family should be able to contribute towards the cost of education. Eligibility for financial aid is the difference between our estimated cost of attendance for your program and your EFC.

Accept Aid

You will receive an email from the financial aid office once your financial aid award offer is available for you to view online. Once you receive this email, please follow these steps to accept/decline your financial aid offer:

Login to Banner Self-Service

  1. Click “Financial Aid”
  2. Click “Award”
  3. Click “Award for Aid Year”
  4. Select aid year
  5. Click “Terms and Conditions”
  6. Accept Terms and Conditions
  7. Click “Accept Award Offer”
  8. Then accept/decline aid offered

With the exception of Federal Stafford loans, if you decline your financial it is not guaranteed that that same aid will be made available to you at a later date. Scholarships and grants are automatically accepted for the student and only loans and federal work study will require the student to accept/decline.

Although there is no deadline to accept the aid offered to you, UTHSC can cancel any award offered after 45 days have passed since the initial email notification. Up until the 15 day of a term, the student can return any loan funds disbursed to them. To do so, the student should send an email to the financial aid office at fao@uthsc.edu with the amount of loan funding they would like to see returned. Please note that this request will likely result in the student owing a balance that will need to be paid to UTHSC.

If there is an external scholarship/grant/resource that you will be receiving that is not already listed on your financial aid award letter, please notify our office by listing that resource on the “Resources/Additional Information” link in Banner Financial Aid Self-Service.

Please note that for most UTHSC programs, financial aid is awarded based on full-time enrollment. If after the census date, a student is found to be below half-time it could result in the financial aid office reducing the student’s cost of attendance and possible reducing the student’s financial aid. Also, if an any UTHSC or external resource is added to a student’s financial aid that causes the student to exceed their cost of attendance, it could also possibly result in the financial aid office reducing the student’s existing financial aid.

Entrance Counseling & MPN

If you have not previously received a Federal Direct Stafford or Federal Parent/Graduate PLUS loan at UTHSC, you must complete Federal Entrance Counseling and a Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN). We encourage students to wait to complete these two items until they have been awarded AND accepted their federal Stafford/PLUS loan for the school year. Once the student has accept the loan, they should visit www.studentloans.gov. If a student prefers to complete a paper MPN, please contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

Although almost all students will be offered a Stafford loan, only a few students might be awarded the Federal Perkins or Federal Health Professions loan. If so, these loans do not require the students to complete an entrance counseling session but they do require a different Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN) be completed. Once a student accepts their Perkins/Health Professions loan, they will be sent an email from HeartlandECSI.net requesting that they complete their promissory note for that particular loan.

Financial Aid Disbursement & Refund

After a student has accept their financial aid and has registered their coursework for the term, their financial aid will show as “anticipated aid” on their student bill about 4 to 6 weeks before the start of the term. Financial aid will officially pay a student’s bill a few days before the start of the student’s courses (which might not be the start of the term). A student should review their coursework they have registered for in Banner Self-Service to determine when their first course starts to determine when their financial aid will pay.

Financial aid must first pay a student’s tuition and fees each term. If excess funds remain after paying these expenses, the student is sent a financial aid refund to help them pay for their books and living expenses. Financial Aid refunds are disbursed to the student’s financial institution on or just before the student’s first day of classes. Please note that it can take a few days for a financial institution to make these funds available to the student.

The student should make sure that they are signed up for direct deposit as that ensure the quickest way for the student to receive a financial aid refund.

Locate Loan Servicers

Federal loan servicers are those entities that collect payments on a federal student loan, responds to customer service inquiries, and performs other administrative tasks associated with maintaining a loan on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (DoE). The DoE has hired many loan servicers. Once you have borrowed a federal loan at UTHSC, you can visit the following website to determine your loan servicer: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/  

Financial Aid Budget

A student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) is determined using several categories. We have attempted to include estimates of all reasonable expenses students are likely to incur during the academic year. Some expenses, such as tuition and fees, are actual costs and others are estimates, ( i.e. room and board). Students can find their estimated cost of attendance on their Banner student web page.

Tuition & Fees

The tuition and fees are specific to your program of study and year of enrollment. The amounts are determined annually by the University Of Tennessee Board Of Trustees and can be found at the following Bursar Office web site https://uthsc.edu/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance/index.php . Students should be aware that annual tuition rates are not finalized until July of each year.

Books & Supplies

The books and supplies category is also specific to your program and year. It includes all required textbooks, instruments, and supplies. Cost estimates are reviewed by each college and/or department annually. An allowance of $500 per term is assumed by the Financial Aid Office unless the college/department can document that their program incurs more than this allowance.

Living Expenses

The allowance for living expenses includes room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. These are estimates of what it may cost a student to live in Memphis while enrolled. Each student’s own actual costs may vary greatly depending on their decisions regarding living arrangements and personal budgeting. The Financial Aid Office strongly encourages the student to carefully review their expected living expenses to ensure that they will fit into the budget designed for them. When reviewing personal budgets, students should leave some margin to cover small unexpected expenses. Living expenses are based on the length of enrollment for the upcoming academic year. Costs for periods of non-enrollment cannot be included.

To view the estimated cost of attendance for each degree program, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/cost/index.php

Types of Financial Aid

Awards, Scholarships & Grants

The Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are both federal need based funds programs that are for undergraduate students only, who do not already have a bachelor’s degree, and requires significant financial need.

All institutional scholarships are awarded by the specific college under which a student is enrolled. The financial aid office is notified of these awards by the colleges and makes them part of the student’s total financial aid award package.

Many states offer merit and/or financial need based grants to students who are eligible. If you are a Tennessee resident, please review the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) website for a list of scholarship and grant opportunities. If you are not a Tennessee resident, please contact your state’s department of education.

Outside scholarship assistance is a good source of potential funding for students. Each scholarship program is administered differently and has different criteria and application procedures. There are a number of websites that can assist you in finding outside scholarship assistance.

For more information on federal, state, and institutional grant/scholarship opportunities and eligibility please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/scholarships-and-grants.php

Not all financial resources provided to a student are classified as a scholarship or grant on the financial aid award. For more information on what is considered a financial aid resource for a student, please see the institution’s Student Payments policy http://policy.tennessee.edu/fiscal_policy/fi0535/.


Federal loan programs common to all disciplines at the University include the Stafford and Perkins loan programs.

The amount of Stafford funding available to students can vary based on the number of months enrolled and the degree program. Most undergraduate students can qualify for as much as $7500 as a dependent student and $12500 as an independent student. Graduate level students can qualify for as much as $20500. Some professional level programs such as Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy can qualify for beyond $38,000 in Stafford loan funding for each school year. To fully accept a Stafford Loan, a master promissory note and an online entrance counseling interview are required,

Unlike Stafford loan funding, Perkins loan funding has several awarding criteria that must be met before a student can be awarded funding.  Those students that qualify can be awarded as much as $5500 for an academic school year.

Other federal loans available to students are the Graduate PLUS and Parent PLUS loans. The Graduate PLUS loan is available only to graduate and professional students. The Parent PLUS loan is available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students. The student can apply for funding up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid already awarded. Unlike the Stafford loans, a credit check is required of the student/parent for these federal loans. If denied, the student/parent will have the opportunity to find a credit worthy endorser to cosign the loan.

For more information on student loans, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/loans.php

Emergency Loans

Students faced with a fiscal emergency may request an emergency loan through their college’s Dean’s Office or through the Financial Aid Office. For details on the process for obtaining an emergency loan, please consult the Bursar’s web site at https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/loan.php

Work Study

Work Study is a federal need based financial aid program providing opportunities for students to work part-time while enrolled at the University. Students in all disciplines are eligible. Students who are interested in Work Study must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). More information regarding federal work study can be found at http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/types-of-financial-aid/federal-work-study-program.php

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require UTHSC to establish and monitor academic progress standards for students who are federal financial aid applicants. This assessment ensures that any student who receives or applies for financial aid is making progress towards a degree. The student’s total academic history is monitored regardless of whether he/she previously received financial aid. Students are able to view their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status through Banner Self-Service. Any student placed on a warning or suspension will also receive an email notification at the beginning of a term as warranted.

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must meet the Quantitative, Qualitative, and Maximum Timeframe defined by DOE federal regulations. Failure to meet any one of these requirements will result in the loss of federal financial aid. Programs affected by these SAP requirements are: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work Study, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal SEOG, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Loans for Disadvantaged Students, Federal Loans for Health Professions

Quantitative Measure

The quantitative measure for satisfactory academic progress requires that a student must successfully complete 67% of enrolled credit hours. This is measured on a cumulative basis.

Example: If the student enrolls for a total of 24 credit hours the first academic year, the student must satisfactorily complete 16 credit hours (24 credit hours x .67 (67%) = 16 credit hours).

Qualitative Measure

The qualitative measure for satisfactory academic progress requires that a student maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average.

During the entirety of a student’s program, the student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 to 3.00 depending on the degree program in which the student is enrolled and as detailed in UTHSC’s Academic Bulletin.

Maximum Timeframe

An undergraduate student must achieve completion of the academic program in 150% of the published length of the program. Graduate and professional students are considered eligible for financial aid as long as they are meeting the academic requirements set forth for their program as detailed in UTHSC’s Academic Bulletin.

Treatment of Attempted, Failed, Audited, Incomplete, Pass/Fail, Repeated, Transferred, and Withdrawn Credit Hours

Consistent with DOE federal financial aid regulations, UTHSC handles credit hours for SAP assessments as follows:

Attempted Hours: In keeping with the Registrar’s policy, attempted hours include credit hours in which students are enrolled in as of the end of the 14th day of the term (generally known as the “census date”).

Failed credit hours: Included in GPA and attempted but not included in completed credit hours. Grades of “F” and “U” count as failed credit hours.

Earned credit hours: Included in GPA, attempted, and completed credit hours. Grades of “A, B, C, and D” are assigned. “S” grades count as attempted and completed credit hours but does not count in student’s GPA.

Incomplete and withdrawn credit hours: Included in attempted but not included in GPA or completed credit hours. Grades of “I” and “W” are assigned to incomplete and withdrawn credit hours, respectively.

Audited credit hours: Not included in attempted, completed, or in a student’s GPA. A grade of “AU” is assigned to audit credit hours.

Transfer credit hours: Included in attempted and completed credit hours but are not included in the GPA. Grades of “TA,” “TB,” and “TC” are assigned.

Repeated credit hours: Course grades will average for GPA and all course attempts will count towards attempted credit hours but only one course credit will be counted in completed credit hours.

Warning Status

Academic progress will be reviewed following each term to determine if the SAP requirements have been met.

The first term the student fails to meet any requirement for SAP, the student will be placed on “Financial Aid Warning” status. The warning period should be utilized by the student to meet SAP requirements. The student still remains eligible for all federal funding during a warning status. Email notifications will be sent to students who are placed on a warning status at the start of the next term.

Suspension Status

A student failing to show satisfactory progress during the warning period will be placed on “Financial Aid Suspension” status. A student may not receive any federal funds while in a financial aid suspension status.


If special circumstances exist such as the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstance, the student can complete a SAP appeal form to request their financial aid be reinstated. Also, as it relates to maximum timeframe requirement, the following extenuating circumstances will be considered: concurrent majors, change of majors, change of degree program, and transfer credits that do not apply to degree program.

Each SAP appeal for financial aid requires that the student develop an appropriate academic plan in conjunction with their college. The academic plan outlines those quantitative and/or qualitative measures that the student must meet each term. The academic plan remains in place until the student has achieved Satisfactory Academic Progress.

The appeal will be reviewed by a SAP Financial Aid Committee comprised of individuals in the Financial Aid Office and two college representatives. As needed, the Committee will reach out to the student’s degree program to clarify the student’s reasons for not making satisfactory academic progress. The appeal will be reviewed within two weeks of submission to the Financial Aid Office. The student will be emailed the decision either granting or denying reinstatement of his/her Federal financial aid by the Office of Financial Aid. Until a decision is made by the committee, any future decisions of enrollment by the student should be under the assumption that federal financial aid will not be provided and that payment of tuition will be the obligation of the student. Decisions of the Appeals Committee can be appealed in writing to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services within (5) five business days of the Committee email notification.

Probation Status

A successful SAP Appeal will result in the student being moved from “Financial Aid Suspension” to a “Financial Aid Probation” status. This allows the student to continue to receive Federal financial aid for one term or as long as the student is meeting the requirements set forth in their academic plan. The student will be reviewed at the end of their probation term to determine if the student is meeting SAP requirements. If the student is not meeting SAP requirements at the end of the probationary term or is failing to meet the terms of their academic action plan, the student will be moved to a “Financial Aid Suspension” status. Probationary students achieving SAP will have their eligibility for federal aid reinstated and their probationary status removed.

Regaining Eligibility

A student who fails to meet SAP requirements and whose appeal is unsuccessful can regain eligibility for Federal financial aid by completing the number of credit hours necessary to achieve the 67% course completion requirement and minimum cumulative grade point average for the student’s degree program as outlined in UTHSC’s Bulletin. However, this will be at the student’s own expense. When a student believes he/she is meeting SAP requirements, the student must so inform the Financial Aid Office in writing and request a reinstatement of his/her aid eligibility.


The Withdrawal policy details what the student is required to do in order to withdraw from the University. If the student is approved by their college to withdraw, notification will be sent to the Financial Aid Office. Once notified, the Financial Aid office is required to run its return of Title IV Return of Funds process as well as the Bursar’s Office is required to run its Tuition Refund process. It is the net of these two processes that will result in the student owing back some of their financial aid or the student being able to receive a post withdrawal refund:

Return of Title IV Funds Policy- This policy determines how much financial aid will be required to be returned due to a withdrawal.

Tuition Refund Policy- This policy determines how much tuition can be refunded to the student due to a withdrawal.

As detailed in the Return of Title IV policy listed above once a student completes 60% of a term, they have earned the right to keep ALL of the financial aid that paid to their student account. If the student attends less than 60% of the term, then the Financial Aid office will be required to calculate how much financial aid needs returned. The formula used to calculate how much exactly needs to be returned for a student is a bit complicated. Therefore, a student is encouraged to contact their financial aid counselor to discuss.

As also detailed above, the Bursar is required to determine how much tuition can be reduced as a result of the withdrawal. In general, once the student completes 29 or more days of the term, the instiution has earned all of the tuition paid by the student and no reduction of tuition will be made.

Student Loan Code of Conduct

The Higher Education Opportunity Act passed by Congress in 2008 required that all schools that participate in the Title IV loan program must have a Code of Conduct that clearly prohibits conflicts of interest for employees involved with financial aid. The One-Stop Shop and the Financial Aid office adhere to NASFAA’s Statement of Ethical Principals and Code of Conduct.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

As a current or prospective UTHSC student, you have many rights and responsibilities. This list is not exhaustive, but highlights some of the key rights and responsibilities relevant to current policies and procedures. For comprehensive information regarding all university forms, policies, procedures, and programs, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/policies/    

Student’s Rights

  • Privacy of your information (FERPA). All records and information submitted with your application for financial aid are confidential and subject to legal requirements concerning disclosure of such information. More information regarding FERPA and the privacy and release of student information​ can be found at https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/students.php
  • To know the costs: This includes costs for tuition and fees, room and board, as well as the estimates for books and supplies, transportation, and personal and miscellaneous expenses used in determining your financial aid cost of attendance. Learn more about UTHSC’s costs http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/cost/index.php 
  • To be aware of the financial aid programs available to you which includes all federal, state and university financial aid programs as well as the deadlines, eligibility, selection creterion, procedures and forms necessary to apply for these funds. For detailed information, please visit http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/
  • To be aware of the student consumer information available to you. Federal regulations require that institutions provide specific consumer information about the school and about financial aid to enrolled and prospective students. Such information includes but is not limited to our current degree programs, our school costs, withdrawal procedure, accreditation and licensure, disability services, aid eligibility for study abroad, transfer credit policies, contact information, and penalties and policies related to copyright infringement. To obtain this and more information, please visit https://www.uthsc.edu/students/consumer_info.php
  • To  know the method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements. Pell-eligible students have the right to know how the school provides for a way for them to purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the students may opt out.
  • To know the terms of any loan received as part of your financial assistance package, a sample loan repayment schedule, the necessity for repaying loans, and the the exit counseling information the school provides
  • To know the general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided to students as part of their financial assistance package.
  • To know the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards you must meet to receive financial aid and the criteria by which those who have failed to maintain SAP may re-establish aid eligibility.
  • The U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to the Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL), Guaranteed Student Loans, and Perkins Loans programs. The Ombudsman Group is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans. Before contacting the Ombudsman Group, be sure to follow Federal Student Aid’s recommendations to resolve the problems with your student loan yourself: Via on-line assistance: http//studentaid.gov/repay-loans/disputes/prepare; Via telephone:877-557-2575; Via fax: 606-396-4821; Via mail: FSA Ombudsman Group, P.O. Box 1843, Monticello, KY 42633

Student’s Responsibilities

  • To submit all forms required to complete the application process in a timely and accurate manner and maintain copies for your records.
  • To notify UTHSC if you default on federal educational loans.
  • To understand that we award most students financial aid based on a full-time status. If you enroll in less than a full-time status (graduate/professional= 9 credit hours, undergraduate= 12 credit hours) we are required to reduce your cost of attendance. This reduction of aid could occur after you have received your financial refund for the term. If so, you understand that some of that financial aid refund might be owed back to the institution due to your federal funds being reduced.
  • To have read the Federal Notices listed at https://www.uthsc.edu/financial-aid/federal-notices.php
  • To know that certificate or other non-degree granting program are ineligible for federal financial aid such as, but limited to, the Federal Perkins loan, Federal Stafford loan, Federal Graduate PLUS loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant.
  • To notify UTHSC of all resources (especially outside resources) you receive that are not listed on your award letter.
  • To know that federal student aid funds received during the award year will be used solely for educational expenses related to attendance during the year.
  • You agree to notify the Office of Financial Aid if you are incarcerated during any term in which you are receiving financial aid.
  • If after filing your FAFSA you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs, you will notify FAO immediately.
  • Keep UTHSC informed of any change of address, name or marital status while you are a student.
  • To provide complete and correct information. You (and your parent or spouse, where appropriate) must confirm the accuracy of the information you provide. Information found to be incorrect may serve as the basis for increase, decrease or cancellation of aid. Information found to be knowingly falsified may result in disciplinary action or referral to the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Inspector General.
  • To pay any past due balances. Students must pay tuition, all fees and prior term balances by the due date listed on the Statement of Account. This includes the first installment of the Installment Plan. For more information visit https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/.
  • To meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress policies and standards of UTHSC in order to maintain financial aid eligibility. For more information visit https://uthsc.edu/financial-aid/satisfactory-academic-process.php
  • To repay all loans according to your repayment schedule. You are not eligible for financial aid if you are in default on any federal student loan.
  • To activate your UTHSC email account​. You must activate your UTHSC email account and regularly check your financial aid status, accessible via Banner Self-Service.​

Student Right to Know and Consumer Information

In compliance with Title IV and other Federal and State disclosure laws, UTHSC has developed a webpage that list required consumer information http://www.uthsc.edu/students/consumer_info.php

Financial Literacy Program

The Financial Literacy Information for Graduate/Professional Health Science Students of Today (FLIGHT) program is designed to educate students about their personal finances as well as provide students debt management resources. Students are provided resources as it relates to budgeting, loan repayment, building good credit, and other financially related topics. The UTHSC Financial Aid Office is committed to helping students develop healthy financial habits during and after school. For more information about the FLIGHT program, please visit  http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/flight/budgeting.php 

Bursar’s Office

Byron Porter, Bursar
62 S. Dunlap St
(901) 448-4847


The Bursar’s Office is responsible for generating student bills and collecting student fees. Fees at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center are established by the Board of Trustees and vary according to college program and state residency status. A listing of the current fees by program is available at https://uthsc.edu/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance/index.php. Waivers and discounts are available in special instances http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/discount_waivers.php. Fees may be changed at any time without prior notification to the student and must be paid at the time of registration or will be subject to a penalty charge. One hundred ($100) dollars late fee will be assessed to any student not registered by the end of the first official day of classes. Any student not registered within fourteen days from the first official day of classes will be assessed a five hundred ($500) dollar reenrollment fee in addition to the late fee. All prior charges must be paid in order to enroll for the next term.

Students can view their current bills through Banner Self-Service and visit the Bursar’s website at http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/ for answers to frequently asked questions. Students are encouraged to sign up for electronic fee payments - see http://www.uthsc.edu/banner/info/faqs.php

The UT System has purchased a TouchNet mobile app for smartphones called ‘Mobile Bill + Payment,’ that will allow students to pay tuition bills and fees, monitor account balances, view scheduled payments and payment plan installments, create and manage refund profiles, and get text alerts for new statements and for payment due dates. This app works on any web-capable device and transactions are PCI compliant so there is never a concern about security. In addition, payments are credited in real time so that there is never a wait for accounts to be updated.

Refunds of Fees, Adjustments and Repayments

Refunds & Repayments Policy

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center’s Refunds Policy is available athttps://uthsc.edu/financial-aid/apply-accept-manage/disbursement-and-refund.php . Please also see the following link for more information on UTHSC Refunds and Repayment Policy: https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/pdfs/refundsrepay_2010_2011.pdf.

Registrar’s Office

Lyndsay Pittman, University Registrar 
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-7703


The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining all official student academic records and for providing timely and accurate information on course offerings and registration. This office is the official source of information related to student status, for verification of student enrollment and degree completion and for transcript requests. 

Program Enrollment

In order to successfully enroll in any Program of Study at UTHSC, a student must be officially admitted by her/his respective College and must have agreed to the guidelines of the Program of Study.  In addition, Final University acceptance requires verification from the Office of Admissions the student has submitted all necessary, required documentation. Some of these documents include but are not limited to: criminal background check, verification of immunizations, or receipt of final transcripts from other attended institutions.  Once University acceptance is completed, the student will be directed to login to BANNER SELF SERVICE by their academic advisor to register and enroll agreed upon courses. Student registration and enrollment will take place each term

Foreign Nationals

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) encourages intellectual exchange and highly qualified foreign nationals may be considered for admission to degree programs and/or invited to participate in educational or research programs at UTHSC. All activities addressed in this policy are coordinated by the Director of International Affairs. Additional information for foreign nationals can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/foreign_nationals.php and on the International Affairs web site (http://www.uthsc.edu/international/). College web sites also provide information on exchange opportunities and interested students are encouraged to contact college officials for more information.

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) encourages intellectual exchange.  Highly qualified foreign nationals may be considered for admission to degree programs and/or invited to participate in educational or research programs at UTHSC. All activities addressed in this policy are coordinated by the Director of International Affairs. Additional information for foreign nationals can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/foreign_nationals.php and on the International Affairs web site (http://www.uthsc.edu/international/). College web sites also provide information regarding exchange opportunities.  Interested students are encouraged to contact college officials for more information.

Veterans’ Affairs

Students entitled to Veterans Educational Assistance (G.I. Bill benefits) should contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance. Students enrolled under VA programs are subject to all rules and regulations set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as university regulations. In 2015, the Tennessee General Assembly passed Public Chapter No. 219  related to veteran’s educational benefits. UTHSC acts in compliance with Public Chapter 219 with regard to the determination and administration of educational benefits to those eligible through current VA Programs.  More information on UTHSC’s educational assistance for veterans and military personnel/families see https://www.uthsc.edu/veterans-affairs/index.php .  


Students at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center utilize Banner Self Service to enroll in courses. For many programs, enrollment is limited to a specific series of courses each semester.  Students are advised to work through their College or Department to determine the courses for which they need to register in a future term.  In some programs, courses may be offered in alternate years and students should review the published Bulletin carefully and consult with their College if there are questions regarding the availability of course offerings.

Registration is a two-step process that requires: 1) registering for specific classes, and 2) payment of tuition and fees. Payments must be received by published due dates to avoid late fees as noted below.

Late Registration

Once the registration has closed, students seeking to register for classes must contact the One Stop Shop. Late Registration for courses requires approval, with the level of approval dependent on the time of the request.  Contact the One Stop Shop for questions regarding Late Registration.

Late Registration Fee

A one hundred ($100) dollar Late Registration Fee is assessed to any student enrolling during Late Registration.  

Appeal of Late Registration Fee:

A student may appeal a Late Registration Fee to the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations.

Re-enrollment Fee

If the student fails to pay his/her fees by the 14th day of classes, he/she will be deemed to have withdrawn from the university. To complete Late Registration after the 14th day of classes has passed, the student must pay a five hundred ($500) re-enrollment fee.

Course Drop-Add Policy

UTHSC recognizes absences may be necessary during a portion of an academic program and strives to accommodate such absences to enable students to continue in, and complete their academic programs. Students should be aware, however, it may be difficult for Colleges to provide suitable options for makeup of missed assignments/activities even with short term absences, given the intensity, complexity and fast pace of UTHSC programs. See Course Drop/Add Policy for more information.

Class Attendance Policy

Please review the Class Attendance Policy at:  https://uthsc.policymedical.net/policymed/newSearch/searchDocuments?sfContent=attendance&queryStr=%2Fpolicymed%2FnewSearch%2FdoSearchReg%3FsfContent%3Dattendance#.

Withdrawal Policy

See Withdrawal Policy for more information.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Programs

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are classified as full-time. Students who are enrolled in less than 12 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are reported as full-time. Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 9, 10, or 11 hours are reported as three- quarter time. Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Undergraduate tudents who are enrolled in less than 6 hours are reported as having less-than half-time enrollment. 

Graduate Programs

Graduate students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are classified as full-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in less than 9 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, graduate students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are reported as full-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Graduate students who are enrolled in 4 hours or less are reported as having less-than-half-time enrollment.

Non degree seeking students and students seeking to audit a course

Some academic programs at UTHSC permit students to register for one or more courses as a non- degree seeking student with the permission of the course instructor. Similarly, a student may be permitted to audit a course with permission. Such options are often limited, however, and fees may apply.


Students may be placed on probation for academic or nonacademic reasons. The process leading to probation for poor academic performance is described in the UTHSC Bulletin - see your specific College section for details. The details related to probation for disciplinary reasons can be found below in the section on the Student Code of Conduct. For more information on probation, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Academic Dismissal

A student who has been formally dismissed from his/her academic program must be reported to the National Clearinghouse, the entity responsible for monitoring eligibility of students for federal student aid. The university will file this report after the College Appeal process has concluded and will record the dismissal from the date of last attendance. Students may appeal an academic dismissal at higher levels, but he/she will no longer be eligible for enrollment or financial assistance, until and unless the dismissal is overturned. If a reversal occurs, the student may reapply for financial aid, but he/she is not guaranteed retroactive financial assistance for the period when he or she was ineligible for aid. For more information on dismissal, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Certification of Enrollment

The Office of the Registrar certifies student enrollment for VA benefits, Social Security benefits, loan deferments, insurance, board applications, etc. through the National Student Clearinghouse. The BANNER information system will communicate with the National Student Clearinghouse and students may contact the clearinghouse at www.studentclearinghouse.org.

Student Records

The official academic record of all students enrolled at UTHSC is maintained in the Office of the Registrar. Requests by a student to review his/her academic record should be directed to the Registrar. The University Transcript is permanent academic record and is released only upon authorization of the student. Students may order transcripts through the National Clearinghouse - see details on the Registrar’s web site. No official transcripts, diplomas, or other educational documents will be provided for a student who has any outstanding obligations to the university.

A valid UTHSC student I.D. or driver’s license is required to view your records.

Student Obligation

Students who do not pay their fees are subject to withdrawal. Any student account that remains unpaid at the end of the term and not paid within thirty (30) days of the end of the term may be remanded to an outside collections agency for assistance in collecting. A collection cost will be added to the amount owed by the student to cover the collection agency cost. In the event the services of an attorney are required in order to collect an unpaid balance, the student shall be responsible for payment of attorney’s fee, plus all court and other collection costs incurred.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) is a federal law that protects the privacy of information contained in students’ education records. FERPA restricts the release of information contained in a student’s education record and access to that record. Unauthorized disclosure of information from a student’s education record or unauthorized access to that information is a form of misconduct.

This federal enactment establishes the legal parameters governing access to and release of student educational records. Any educational institution or educational administrative service that receives funds from the United States Secretary of Education must comply with the terms set forth in FERPA.

The Act encompasses six basic requirements of colleges and universities.

  1. Students must be annually notified of their FERPA rights.
  2. Students must be allowed to review their education records.
  3. Students must be allowed to request to amend their education records, with limited exceptions.
  4. Students must be allowed to limit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their education records.
  5. The college or university must undertake reasonable efforts to ensure that third parties do not re-disclose personally identifiable information and that the information is utilized by third parties only for its intended purpose.
  6. Records must be maintained of requests for and disclosure of student education records. 

The consequences of non-compliance with FERPA requirements are serious. The Department of Education may cite the offending institution with official notice to cease the practice of noncompliance, and all funds administered by the Secretary of Education could be withheld from the institution.

The consequences of non-compliance with FERPA requirements are serious. The Department of Education may cite the offending institution with official notice to cease the practice of noncompliance, and all funds administered by the Secretary of Education could be withheld from the institution.

For additinal information for FERPA information, policies and requirements visit https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/ferpa.php  and http://uthsc.edu/registrar/policies.php on the Registrar’s website.