Apr 18, 2024  
2015-2016 CenterScope 
2015-2016 CenterScope [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services

University Academic Calendar

The University Academic Calendar and detailed Calendars for each college and their respective programs can be found at https://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/academic_calendar.php.

New Student Orientation (2015 - 2016)

The purpose of the new student orientation (NSO) at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) is to ensure that new students have a successful transition and integration into the UTHSC community. The program promotes discussion among new students, continuing students, and faculty and staff on the expectations and perceptions of the campus community. Incoming students should contact the admissions office of their respective colleges for New Student Orientation schedules and dates. You may also contact an Admissions Counselor or the Central Admissions Office for more information. To contact an Admissions Counselor, please see https://www.uthsc.edu/admissions/.

By attending orientation students will:
•    Gain more knowledge of student support services, the service unit within their respective College, and the UTHSC academic experience.
•    Gain a better understanding of the personal and financial responsibilities of attending UTHSC.
•    Reduce anxiety about the transition to medical, dental, or nursing school.
•    Reinforce the necessity of students taking ownership and academic responsibility in their educational process.

Things to do on-line before NSO week

  • Complete FAFSA.
  • In order to finalize your acceptance, the institution requires that ALL students be fully admitted to the University. The UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions [Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] will contact you regarding your NetiD and default password which may take 2-3 weeks from the time you have received your acceptance packet. Once you receive your NetiD and default password you can log-in to Banner Self-Service to begin the acceptance process. By completing the acceptance process, this will enable you to be awarded financial aid and register for classes prior to matriculation. All incoming students except those in the College of Graduate Health Sciences will be asked to authorize a $75.00 charge to their credit card. The $75.00 processing fee is non-refundable.
  • View the Bursar’s/Cashier’s link to include: [1] Student Loans; [2] Payment of Fees and First Year Expenses.
  • Read about and then complete the required Information Security Training
  • Complete Student Parking Permit.

Things to read before NSO week

Things to mail-in or send via FAX before NSO week

Things to bring with you to NSO week

  • Bring your checkbook to pay for student parking, unless you included this fee on your fee sheet.
  • Bring copies of your immunization records just in case your copy is not on file.

Things to do during the summer

Related Sources

Additional Contact Information

Note:  Each college or program may have specific Orientation reminders or tasks.  Please refer to information from your program office for details.

The purpose of orientation in the College of Nursing for newly admitted students is to show what UTHSC has to offer for students. At orientation, students will be acquainted to University Health Services, Student Academic Services and Inclusion (SASSI), Campus Police, the One Stop Shop, and Information Technology Services (IT). They will also be introduced to the Dean, faculty, and staff. Students will be introduced to Blackboard and all of its components (Safe Assign, Technical Performance Standards, etc.) as well as the importance of HIPPA and FERPA compliance and the Honor Code. Students will also be exposed to study skills and even experience a writing module. Also, students will be familiarized about plagiarism and APA format.

New student orientation in the College of Pharmacy begins with an introduction to the Deans and to the College of Pharmacy Student Affairs policies in order to acclimate incoming students to the UTHSC campus. These events take place during the week prior to the start of classes.  Tours are held to give students an idea of where they can find different departments and buildings across campus, as well as where their classes will be held. Representatives from various other departments, including Campus Police, University Health Services, Financial Aid, Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI), as well as a panel of current students also make presentations on additional valuable information for first-year students. Mandatory training for CPR and software necessary for testing is also covered at this time. By the end of the week, students should have an understanding of what is expected of them during their studies at UTHSC as well as the resources that are available to them.

One Stop Shop

Keith Chandler, MPH, Director
910 Madison, Room 105
Phone: 901-448-7703

In order to provide a high level of service to students, UTHSC developed a unit called the One Stop Shop to assist with enrollment-related issues. Since its opening in January, 2013, the One Stop Shop has served as the primary destination for students with questions related to financial aid, fee payments, registration, transcript requests, etc. While individual counselors may have more expertise in one area, the staff is continuously cross-trained to enable them to assist you with a wide range of issues. Our goal is to provide prompt and immediate resolution of student issues so that there is no need for multiple visits to offices on campus. Should complex issues arise, staff will consult with other experts within the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar and Bursar to resolve the matter (and these experts will come to the One Stop Student Services location rather than requiring you to come to them).

Students taking courses at locations other than the Memphis campus can access all of the services provided by the One Stop Student Services unit through email, phone (901-448-7703) or by Skype appointment. (To arrange a Skype appointment, please contact One Stop Student Services by phone or email.)

Contact onestop@uthsc.edu or any of the specific offices (Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Bursar) for further assistance.

Admissions Office

William Carter, Director
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-5560 or toll free (877) 843-4461


The Office of Admissions actively processes applications for admissions from college sophomore, juniors, seniors, and transfer students, receives applicant supporting materials (transcripts, recommendation forms, proposed plans of study forms, etc.), reviews transcripts for satisfactory completion of program prerequisites, creates electronic files containing all submitted application materials and conducts campus tours for prospective students and their families. The Office of Admissions staff support the efforts of staff and admissions committee members in our six colleges to aid their decision-making process regarding applicants to individual academic programs. For additional information, please visit our website at: http://uthsc.edu/admissions/.

Eligibility Verification Procedure - New State Requirement

Read more about the UTHSC Policy for Eligibility Verification at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/eligibility_verification.php.

Immunization Information for Newly Admitted Students (2015 - 2016)

UHS now has a secure web-portal called OpenCommunicator where students can submit their immunization records.


Enter your net ID and password.
Enter your date of birth.
Click on Forms (at left).
Click on UTHSC Required Immunizations.
Complete this form.

Then, submit copies of your official vaccine documentation to UHS so we can verify your records.

All entering students must complete the steps above and can also submit their documentation to:

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

University Health Services
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 922
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: 901-448-5630
Fax: 901-448-7255

All immunizations must be up to date for enrollment at UTHSC, and proof of immunizations or immunity is required.

The Hepatitis B immunization series and positive titer are required of all students and you have one academic year to complete this requirement.  You can begin this series during your first semester of enrollment at University Health Services.  If you have completed the Hepatitis B series, you must provide proof of immunity by titer.

All UTHSC students are required to receive the tuberculin skin test annually.  Students who have been vaccinated with Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) and do not provide documentation of a past, positive, tuberculin skin test, are required to have tuberculin screening to determine tuberculosis status.  Persons who test TB skin test positive or have previously tested positive are required to get TB screening through a blood test or chest x-ray as referred by UHS. If this test is reactive, the student will be referred to the Regional One Health for chest x-ray.

NOTE: TB skin tests do not need to be complete before admission.  TB skin tests will be given during registration.

If you have any questions or you need any help in getting your shots up to date, please call us at (901) 448-5630.

NOTE: University Health Services (UHS) can administer any or all of the required vaccinations.  Contact us directly, if you wish to ask questions regarding fees and/or request a vaccination.

The UTHSC Immunization Requirements

MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had the two-shot MMR series, OR
  • You must provide documentation showing a positive titer.

NOTE: A “positive titer” provides verification that you have antibodies present in your system that indicate you (1) have had the disease or (2) have been vaccinated “successfully” against the disease. In either case, a positive titer indicates that you are unlikely to get the disease a second time.

Polio Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had the polio series (aka OPV),

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had an adult TDAP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis Shot).

Hepatitis B Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a three-vaccination Hepatitis B series (aka HBV or HepB), AND
  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a post-series positive titer.

Varicella Series

  • You must provide documentation showing you have had a two-vaccination Varicella series (aka Var or Chicken Pox), OR
  • You must provide documentation showing you have a positive (immune) titer.

Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test

You must provide documentation showing you have had a negative TB Skin Test within the last 3 months.

If you have ever had a positive TB skin test, consult with UHS. T-spot test is available at no charge for students. UHS can refer for a chest x-ray if needed.

All UTHSC students are required to receive the tuberculin skin test annually.  Students who have been vaccinated with Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) and do not provide documentation of a past, positive, tuberculin skin test, are required to have tuberculin screening through a blood assay to determine tuberculosis status. 

All UTHSC students are required to have documentation of a tuberculosis test (TST or IGRA) completed within 3 months prior to their start date. These records must be forwarded to UHS for documentation and approval. New students may elect to have a TST or IGRA test completed at UHS prior to their start date at no cost. Students that test positive or whose documentation show a previous positive result must receive a chest x-ray. The chest x-ray arrangements will be set up through the UHS current vendor. If the chest x-ray is abnormal, then UHS will decide how best to have you evaluated further. This can be done by a specialist in Infectious Disease, Pulmonary Medicine or the Shelby County Health Department. The individual may also be referred to the Shelby County health Department for medication and sputum testing for smears and culture. TST and IGRA tests results should take no longer than 4 days and the scheduling of a chest x-ray should take no longer than 2 business days.  No student will be able to go on rotation or begin class until all results have been identified and cleared by UHS.  Students that fail to start the process in a timely manner, may have a delayed start date according to their college requirements.

Meningococcal Vaccine (Optional, except for Clinical Laboratory Science students)

If you are a Clinical Laboratory Science student, you must provide documentation showing you have had the Meningitis Vaccine.

University Health Services (UHS) is responsible for determining whether or not the immunization documentation provided is adequate and complete.  UHS is available to administer any required immunizations and lab work for students.

Financial Aid Office

Samuel Matheny, Director
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163
(901) 448-5568


Goals & Services

The primary purpose of the Financial Aid Office is to provide financial resources to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue their college education. The University of Tennessee Health Science Center believes that the cost of education is primarily the responsibility of the student and/or the student’s family. The purpose of financial aid is to help fill the gap between family resources and the student’s cost of attendance. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of demonstrated need except where funds are specified for recognition of special talents or abilities. Practices and procedures followed by the Financial Aid staff ensure fair and equitable treatment for all applicants.

The director and the staff of the office compile composite financial aid packages for individual students, provide students with information on the financial aid opportunities available to them and caution them to keep loans at a minimum. The process for obtaining aid is shown below. By following this process, students will be fully considered for most federal, state and institutional aid. However, students are also encouraged to explore additional resources in their communities such ascivic organizations, churches, professional associations and employers of either parent or the student. In addition, some communities, hospitals and health care providers offer student aid in return for service. Most of the sources of financial assistance available to students require that eligibility (need) be established to qualify for the funds. Eligibility (need) is determined through a calculation using information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application takes into account the cost of education and the family’s financial situation. Below is a detailed description of the application process and how each piece of the calculation is derived.

Application for Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the main application required to apply for financial aid at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center. To apply, you may follow the instructions provided at www.fafsa.ed.gov, bearing in mind the following:

  1. Students who complete the FAFSA prior to March 15th preceding that same calendar year’s fall semester will be considered for priority funding; this deadline applies to both first year and returning students. Applications received March 16th or later will receive financial aid based on the availability of funding.
  2. To be sure that the Financial Aid Office receives your application, list the University of Tennessee Health Science Center as one of the colleges to receive the information by providing the federal school code of 006725 on the FAFSA application.
  3. We strongly recommend you provide parent information regardless of whether you meet the U.S. Department of Education definition of an independent student. There are several financial aid funds that require parent information and the FAFSA is your best opportunity to provide it. For independent undergraduate students and all graduate and professional students, parent information is not considered in determining your eligibility for Federal Stafford Direct Loans.
  4. A FAFSA must be completed each academic year for which one wants federal financial aid.
  5. The FAFSA is all that is required to initiate the financial aid process; you do not need to send any other information to the U.S. Department of Education or to the Financial Aid Office unless you are notified to do so.

Once your application has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education. Read it carefully, and confirm that all of the information is correct. If you need to make any changes, please make those changes at www.fafsa.gov. Once you complete the FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid award letter, or a request for additional information. Respond to each of these as soon as possible to ensure that your funds are promptly applied and expected refunds are processed.

Calculating Eligibility

Using the information submitted on the FAFSA, the federal processor performs a calculation called a “need analysis”. The need analysis is based on a formula developed by Congress. It is used to assess the family’s ability to contribute to the cost of the student’s education, and thus, their need for financial assistance. The result of the calculation is a figure called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). It represents the amount that the federal government feels the family should be able to contribute towards the cost of education. Eligibility (need) for financial aid is the difference between our estimated budget (cost of education) for your program and your EFC.

Financial Aid Budget

A student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) is determined using several categories. We have attempted to include estimates of all reasonable expenses students are likely to incur during the academic year. Some expenses, such as tuition and fees, are actual costs and others are estimates, such as the living expenses. Students can find their estimated cost of attendance on their Banner student web page.

Tuition & Fees

The tuition and fees are specific to your program of study and year of enrollment. The amounts are determined annually by the University of Tennessee Board of Trustees and can be found at the bursar’s web site http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/colleges_fee_information.php. Students should be aware that annual tuition rates are not finalized until June of each year.

Books & Supplies

The books and supplies category is also specific to your program and year. It includes all required textbooks, instruments, and supplies. Cost estimates are reviewed by each college and/or department annually. An allowance of $500 per term is assumed by the Financial Aid Office unless the college/department can document that their program incurs more than this allowance.

Living Expenses

The allowance for living expenses includes room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. These are estimates of what it may cost a student to live in Memphis while enrolled. The living expenses are the maximum allowed for financial aid eligibility, and cannot be adjusted for personal consumer choices. Each student’s own actual costs may vary greatly depending on their decisions regarding living arrangements and personal budgeting. The Financial Aid Office suggests that each student sit down and review their expected living expenses to ensure that they will fit into the budget designed for them. When reviewing personal budgets, students should leave some margin to cover small unexpected expenses. Living expenses are based on the length of enrollment for the upcoming academic year. Costs for periods of non-enrollment cannot be included.

Financial Aid Award

Once a student’s eligibility is established, financial aid awards are made for the academic year in accordance with federal regulations and University policies, relative to eligibility and to the availability of funds. Students are notified of their financial aid award by email, usually during the spring.


Aid is divided between terms to correspond to student program enrollment. Federal aid is generally applied as a credit towards the student’s cost of tuition and fees owed. If the student is due a refund because the aid applied exceeds the amount of tuition and fees due, a refund check or direct deposit will be generated by the Bursar’s Office to the student generally just before or during the first week of classes.

Types of Financial Aid

Awards, Scholarships & Grants

Outside scholarship assistance is a good source of potential funding for students. Each scholarship program is administered differently and has different criteria and application procedures. There are a number of web sites that can assist you in finding outside scholarship assistance. The Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are both federal need based funds programs that are for undergraduate students only. All institutional scholarships are awarded by the specific college under which a student is enrolled. The financial aid office is notified of these awards by the colleges and makes them part of the student’s total financial aid award package. [ However, not all financial resources provided to a student are classified as a resource on the financial aid award]. For more information on what is considered a financial aid resource for a student, please see the institution’s Student Payments policy http://policy.tennessee.edu/fiscal_policy/fi0535/.


Federal loan programs common to all disciplines at the University include the Stafford and Perkins loan programs. Interest rates for the subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans can be found at https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/interest-rates. Perkins annual loan limits are $8000 for graduate students and $5500 for undergraduates. Perkins Loans have a fixed interest rate of 5.0%. Each of these loans offers a standard ten year repayment term. The Stafford loan program also offers extended loan repayment programs as well as newly created income based loan repayment programs to better help the student make affordable monthly loan payments. If you accept a Stafford Loan, you will be directed online to complete a master promissory note and an entrance counseling interview, which you will need to complete and submit to the U.S. Department of Education in order for your loan funds to be disbursed.

Emergency Loans

Students faced with a fiscal emergency may request an emergency loan through their college Dean’s Office or through the Financial Aid Office. For details on the process for obtaining an emergency loan, please consult the Bursar’s web site at http://www.uthsc.edu/financeoper/cashier/loan_information.html

Work Study

Work Study is a federal need based financial aid program providing opportunities for students to work part-time while enrolled at the University. Students in all disciplines are eligible. Students who are interested in Work Study must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require UTHSC to establish and monitor academic progress standards for students who are federal financial aid applicants.  This assessment ensures that any student who receives or applies for financial aid is making progress towards a degree. The student’s total academic history is monitored regardless of whether he/she previously received financial aid.  Students are able to view their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status through Banner Self-Service. Any student placed on warning or suspension will also receive an email notification at the beginning of a term as warranted.

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must meet the Quantitative, Qualitative, and Maximum Timeframe defined by Department of Education federal regulations. Failure to meet any one of these requirements will result in the loss of federal aid.  Programs affected by these SAP requirements are: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work-Study, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal SEOG, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Loans for Disadvantaged Students, and Federal Loans for Health Professions.

Complete UTHSC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy here.

  1. All Students
    In general, the satisfactory academic progress policy above and at the college level covers the qualitative measurements (G.P.A, courses completed, etc.) of a student’s progress. There is also a quantitative measurement (time limit) for federal financial aid eligibility. Students are allowed to receive aid for one and one-half times the normal length of their program. For example, if a full time student’s degree program takes four semesters to complete, the maximum number of semesters a student can receive aid is for six semesters.
  2. Incompletes, Withdrawals & Repeats
    Incomplete grades must be removed by the end of the semester following that in which it was received. Failure of a student to remove the incomplete within the time allowed will result in the grade of F as a permanent grade. Aid will not be provided to a student who is only completing an incomplete grade or has already passed a course. If a student’s enrollment includes both new courses and incompletes or retakes, enrollment status will be determined using the college’s academic progression policy and the Federal Student Aid Handbook on repeat coursework.
  3. Appeal Procedure
    Since the Financial Aid Office’s satisfactory academic progress policies mirror the academic progression policies of the individual colleges, the Financial Aid appeal process is embedded into the college’s appeal process. Meaning, a student who successfully appeals their academic progress at their individual college will automatically have their financial aid eligibility reinstated.

Financial Literacy Program

The Financial Literacy Information for Graduate/Professional Health Science Students of Today (FLIGHT) program is designed to educate students about their personal finances as well as provide students debt management resources. Students are provided resources as it relates to budgeting, loan repayment, building good credit, and other financially related topics. UTHSC Financial Aid Office is committed to helping students develop healthy financial habits during and after school. For more information about the FLIGHT program, please visit  http://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/flight/budgeting.php

Bursar’s Office

Byron Porter, Bursar
62 S. Dunlap St
(901) 448-4847


The Bursar’s Office is responsible for generating student bills and collecting student fees. Fees at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center are established by the Board of Trustees and vary according to college program and state residency status. A listing of the current fees by program is available at http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/colleges_fee_information.php. Waivers and discounts are available in special instances http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/discount_waivers.php. Fees may be changed at any time without prior notification to the student and must be paid at the time of registration or will be subject to a penalty charge. One hundred ($100) dollars late fee will be assessed to any student not registered by the end of the first official day of classes. Any student not registered within fourteen days from the first official day of classes will be assessed a five hundred ($500) dollar reenrollment fee in addition to the late fee. All prior charges must be paid in order to enroll for the next term.

Students can view their current bills through Banner Self-Service and visit the Bursar’s website at http://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/ for answers to frequently asked questions. Students are encouraged to sign up for electronic fee payments - see http://www.uthsc.edu/banner/info/faqs.php

The UT System has purchased a TouchNet mobile app for smartphones called ‘Mobile Bill + Payment,’ that will allow students to pay tuition bills and fees, monitor account balances, view scheduled payments and payment plan installments, create and manage refund profiles, and get text alerts for new statements and for payment due dates. This app works on any web-capable device and transactions are PCI compliant so there is never a concern about security. In addition, payments are credited in real time so that there is never a wait for accounts to be updated.

Refunds of Fees, Adjustments and Repayments

Refunds & Repayments Policy

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center’s Refunds Policy is available at https://www.uthsc.edu/finaid/awards/refund-policy.php. Please also see the following link for more information on UTHSC Refunds and Repayment Policy: https://www.uthsc.edu/finance/bursar/pdfs/refundsrepay_2010_2011.pdf.

Registrar’s Office

Dr. Darla Keel, Ed.D.,  Director of Academic Records & Registrar
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
(901) 448-5560


The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining all official student academic records and for providing timely and accurate information on course offerings and registration. This office is the official source of information related to student status, for verification of student enrollment and degree completion and for transcript requests. The office also reviews information relating to student residency status to determine eligibility for in-state tuition. Click  here for the UT Residency Form for undergraduate students.

Program Enrollment

In order to successfully enroll, a student must be officially accepted by her/his respective college, have been notified of this acceptance by the college and have agreed to the general program of study for this academic program. Final acceptance requires verification from the Office of Admissions that the student has submitted all necessary documentation. Once this final step is completed the student will be directed to login to BANNER SELF SERVICE to enroll in the courses agreed upon by the student and his/her advisor for that specific term/enrollment period. This process will take place each term.

Foreign Nationals

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) encourages intellectual exchange and highly qualified foreign nationals may be considered for admission to degree programs and/or invited to participate in educational or research programs at UTHSC. All activities addressed in this policy are coordinated by the Director of International Affairs. Additional information for foreign nationals can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/foreign_nationals.php and on the International Affairs web site (http://www.uthsc.edu/international/). College web sites also provide information on exchange opportunities and interested students are encouraged to contact college officials for more information.

Veterans’ Affairs

Students entitled to Veterans Educational Assistance (G.I. Bill benefits) should contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance. Students enrolled under VA programs are subject to all rules and regulations set forth by the  Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as university regulations. In 2015, the Tennessee General Assembly passed Public Chapter No. 219   related to veteran’s educational benefits. UTHSC acts in compliance with Public Chapter 219 with regard to the determination and administration of educational benefits to those eligible through current VA Programs.  More information on UTHSC’s educational assistance for veterans and military personnel/families see https://www.uthsc.edu/veterans-affairs/index.php .  


Students at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center utilize Banner Self Service to enroll in their courses. For many of the professional programs, enrollment is limited to a specific series of courses each semester and students are advised to check with their colleges for the course registration numbers (CRNs) that need to be entered for the next term. In other programs, courses may be offered in alternate years and students should review the published course catalog carefully and consult with their college if there are questions to available course offerings.

Registration is a two-step process that requires: 1) signing up for specific classes, and 2) payment of tuition and fees. The latter must be completed in a timely manner to avoid late fees as noted below.

Late Registration

Once the official registration period has closed, students seeking to register for classes must contact the One Stop Shop. Late registration requires approval, with the level of approval dependent on the time of the request. If the request is made within three (3) working days following the close of the formal registration period (Designated as the Final Day of Program Enrollment), the Office of Enrollment Services can approve the request. After this time, the student must have the approval of the college to enroll.

Late Registration Fee

A one hundred ($100) dollar fee will be assessed to any student enrolling after the Final Day of Program Enrollment.

Appeal of Late Registration Fee:

A student may appeal a Late Registration Fee to the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations.

Re-enrollment Fee

If the student fails to pay his/her fees by the 14th day of classes, he/she will be deemed to have withdrawn from the university. To complete registration after this date has passed, the student must pay a five hundred ($500) re-enrollment fee.

Course Drop-Add Policy

UTHSC recognizes that absences may be necessary during a portion of an academic program and strives to accommodate such absences to enable students to continue in, and complete their academic programs. Students should be aware, however, that it may be difficult for colleges to provide suitable options for makeup of missed assignments/activities even with short term absences, given the intensity, complexity and fast pace of UTHSC programs. See Course Drop/Add Policy for more information.

Class Attendance Policy

Please review the Class Attendance Policy at:  https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/attendance.php.

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Policy

See Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Policy for more information.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Programs

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are classified as full-time. Students who are enrolled in less than 12 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, students who are enrolled in 12 hours or more are reported as full-time. Students who are enrolled in 9, 10, or 11 hours are reported as three- quarter time. Students who are enrolled in 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Students who are enrolled in less than 6 hours are reported as having less-than half-time enrollment. Campus policy regarding credit hours can be found at https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/credit_hour.php

Graduate Programs

Graduate students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are classified as full-time. Students who are enrolled in less than 9 hours are classified as part-time. For financial aid purposes and for enrollment reporting to the National Clearinghouse, students who are enrolled in 9 hours or more are reported as full-time. Students who are enrolled in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours are reported as half-time. Students who are enrolled in 4 hours or less are reported as having less-than-half-time enrollment.

Non degree seeking students and students seeking to audit a course

Some of the academic programs at UTHSC permit students to register for one or more courses as a non- degree seeking student with the permission of the course instructor. Similarly, a student may be permitted to audit a course with permission. Such options are often limited, however, and fees may apply.


Students may be placed on probation for academic or nonacademic reasons. The process leading to probation for poor academic performance is described in the UTHSC academic catalog - see your specific college section for details. The details related to probation for disciplinary reasons can be found below in the section on the Student Code of Conduct. For more information on probation, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.


A student who has been formally dismissed from his/her academic program must be reported to the National Clearinghouse, the entity that is responsible for monitoring eligibility of students for federal student aid. The university will file this report after the college appeal process has concluded and will list the date of the dean’s decision to uphold dismissal as the date of last attendance. Thereafter, the student may continue to appeal at higher levels, but he/she will no longer be eligible for financial assistance, until and unless the dismissal is overturned. If a reversal occurs, the student may reapply for financial aid, but he/she is not guaranteed retroactive financial assistance for the period when he or she was ineligible for aid. For more information on dismissal, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Certification of Enrollment

The Office of the Registrar certifies student enrollment for VA benefits, Social Security benefits, loan deferments, insurance, board applications, etc. through the National Student Clearinghouse. The BANNER information system will communicate with the National Student Clearinghouse and students may contact the clearinghouse at  www.studentclearinghouse.org.

Student Records

The official academic record of all students enrolled at UTHSC is maintained in the Office of the Registrar. Request by a student to review his/her academic record should be directed to the Registrar. Transcripts of the permanent academic record are made and released only upon written authorization of the student. Each student can obtain up to 10 transcripts from the Registrar’s office at no charge; each additional transcript will cost $5.00. Alternatively, students can order transcripts through the National Clearinghouse - see details on the Registrar’s web site for details. No official transcripts or diplomas will be provided for a student who has any outstanding obligations to the university.

A valid UTHSC student I.D. or driver’s license is required to view your records.

Student Obligation

Students who do not pay their fees by the last day of official program enrollment may be subject to dismissal from attending classes or clinic. Any student account that remains unpaid at the end of the term and not paid within thirty (30) days of the end of the term, may be turned over to an outside collections agency for assistance in collecting. A collection cost will be added to the amount owed by the student to cover the collection agency cost. In the event the services of an attorney are required in order to collect an unpaid balance, the student shall be responsible for payment of attorney’s fee, plus all court and other collection costs incurred.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) is a federal law that protects the privacy of information contained in students’ education records. FERPA restricts the release of information contained in a student’s education record and access to that record. Unauthorized disclosure of information from a student’s education record or unauthorized access to that information is a form of misconduct.


An “education record” is a record that is directly related to a student and is maintained by the University of Tennessee (or a party acting on the University’s behalf). An education record can exist in any medium (e.g., e-mail, typewritten, handwritten, audiotape, videotape). Education records do not include “sole possession records,” which are records kept in the sole possession of the maker, used as a personal memory aid, and not revealed to others (e.g., a faculty member’s notes). Education records also do not include employment records, unless employment is conditional upon the individual being a student (e.g., graduate assistants’ employment records are education records protected by FERPA).

A “student” is any person who is, or has been in attendance at the University. For purposes of FERPA, a person becomes a student when the student has been admitted to the University and attends classes (either on-campus or distance learning). FERPA does not apply to records containing information created after the person is no longer a student if the information is not directly related to the individual’s attendance as a student.

“Written consent” means a printed document, voluntarily signed and dated by the student, that specifies the records to be disclosed, the purpose of the disclosure, and the party to whom the disclosure may be made.

“Directory information” is limited to a student’s name, e-mail (university - supplied) address, college, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and student organizations, dates of attendance, classification, degrees and awards received, most recent previous educational institution attended, current enrollment status and electronic thesis and dissertations (ETD). Neither a student’s social security number nor his/her student identification number is directory information.

A “University Official” is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); contractors, consultants, volunteers and other outside parties to whom the institution has outsourced institutional services or functions instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, alumni foundation or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task.

“Legitimate Educational Interest” does not include simply having a curiosity about the academic record or disciplinary proceedings with regard to a student without some legitimate academic reason. Thus, all records of all students are not open to all faculty or staff at the University. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibilities for the University. Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

Release of Student Information

The University of Tennessee shall not disclose information contained in a student’s education record to a third party without the student’s written consent, except under certain limited conditions. Highly sensitive information includes a student’s social security number, race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, academic performance, disciplinary records, and grades.

When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending the University (regardless of age), FERPA rights transfer from the parent to the student. Accordingly, parents, spouses, and other family members do not have a right to receive information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent. Faculty members should refer all inquiries from parents or other family members to the Office of the Registrar, who will obtain or confirm the existence of a valid written consent from the student to release information to the parent or other family member. Faculty members should also encourage family members to speak with the student directly.

The University may disclose information contained in a student’s education record without the student’s consent to University officials with “legitimate educational interests.” A University official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review a student’s education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities to the University. Faculty members who request another University employee to release information from a student’s education record shall demonstrate a legitimate educational interest in accessing the information (e.g., to fulfill the duties of an academic advisor). Access to education records shall not be used for any other purpose (e.g., casual conversations among faculty members about students’ grades or other information in students’ education records).

In contrast, “student directory information” may be disclosed to a third party unless the student has expressly requested otherwise, filing an official request with the Office of the Registrar.

Requests for information from a student’s education records from anyone other than the student or a University official with a legitimate educational interest should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

FERPA and Grades

FERPA prohibits faculty members from publicly posting grades by a student’s name, a student’s ID number, a student’s social security number (even the last 4 digits), or any other information that would personally identify the student, without a student’s written consent. This includes posting on websites, bulletin boards, or office doors. A faculty member may post grades by using randomly assigned numbers known only by the faculty member and the individual student as long as the grades are not listed in alphabetical order.

Mailing grades to students is only acceptable if the grades are enclosed in a sealed envelope. Grades shall not be mailed via postcards.

When returning students’ tests or papers, faculty members shall use a system designed to prevent the release of a student’s information to another student. Faculty members shall not leave students’ tests or papers where third parties can view the tests or papers (e.g., leaving tests in a stack for students to sort through).

FERPA and E-Mail

E- mail is an official means of University communication. FERPA does not prohibit the use of e-mail for transmitting FERPA-protected information to a student or authorized third-party. However, like information disclosed over the telephone or via U.S. mail, information disclosed via e-mail can inadvertently be disclosed to someone other than the intended recipient. The University would be held responsible for an inadvertent disclosure.

Faculty members should use e-mail with the amount of caution appropriate to (1) the level of sensitivity of the information being disclosed, (2) the likelihood of inadvertent disclosure to someone other than the intended recipient, and (3) the consequences of inadvertent disclosure to someone other than intended recipient. As a general rule, e-mail should contain the least amount of FERPA- protected information as possible. The subject line of an e-mail should not include FERPA-protected information. The body of an e-mail should not contain highly sensitive FERPA-protected information, such as a student’s social security number. Alternatively, faculty can convey sensitive information to students via encrypted email, providing the password for decrypting the email in a separate message. Faculty can also post sensitive emails in a university account (Xythos, Blackboard) that requires access using a net ID and password.

When using e-mail, faculty members should use their official University e-mail account to transmit FERPA-protected information to students. When sending e-mails, faculty members should send e- mails to students’ official University e-mail addresses.

Letters of Recommendation

Written consent of the student is required before a faculty member writes a letter of recommendation for the student whenever any information to be provided in the letter comes from the student’s education records (grades, GPA, etc.).

Letters of recommendation that are based solely on a faculty member’s personal knowledge or observation do not require the written consent of the student.

If a letter of recommendation is kept on file by the person writing the recommendation, then it becomes a part of the student’s education record, and the student has the right under FERPA to read the letter unless the student specifically waived that right.


If the university determines that there is an articulable and significant threat to the health and safety of an individual, the institution may disclose information from his/her educational record “to any person whose knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety” on the individual. The Vice Chancellor for Academic, Faculty and Student Affairs shall make this determination.

For questions about FERPA, please contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of the General Counsel.

Annual Notice to Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. Updates are posted annually at the following website:  https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/FERPA_2012-2013.php explaining student rights under this law.

These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (“University”) receives the student’s request for access. To exercise this right, a student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
    A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.
    If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; or a contractor, consultant, volunteer, or other outside party to whom the University has outsourced University services or functions that would otherwise be performed by University employees, the party is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of education records, and the party is subject to the same conditions governing the use and redisclosure of education records that apply to other school officials.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities to the University.

Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

As of January 2012:

  • FERPA Annual Notice to Reflect Possible Federal and State Data Collection and Use
    As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state- supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Tennessee Health Science Center to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

  • The right to refuse to permit the disclosure of directory information except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Directory information is information contained in a student’s education record that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The University has designated the following as directory information: name, local address, local telephone number, major, class, college, dates of attendance, and degrees awarded.

    FERPA permits the University to disclose directory information without a student’s consent unless a student, prior to the second Friday after the first day of classes of the term in which the student is enrolled, notifies the Office of Enrollment Services in writing of his or her desire to restrict directory information from being published.

The FERPA policy is available at: https://academic.uthsc.edu/policy_docs/FERPA-student-notice.php .

Partners In Education (PIE)

Partners In Education was designed to strengthen the relationship between the student, the family, and The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, with the goal of improving the academic success and retention of students.

Through the Partners in Education program, families can seek answers to questions that arise throughout the year, receiving information and suggestions that will allow them to provide effective support for their student. Since the information to be shared is protected by FERPA, this information can only be shared if the student signs a release waiver. Once this is signed, families have access to the following:

  1. Academic Records
    As a member of the PIE program, you as a designated family member will have unrestricted access to your student’s academic records. Additionally, you will be contacted by the university if your student reports to the university that s/he is the victim of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, and/or if your student is under the age of 21 and is found responsible for alcohol- and/or drug-related offenses. For specific questions regarding your student’s academic records contact the Office of the Registrar at 901.448.5560.
  2. Telephone Assistance
    When questions, concerns, or problems arise, members may call the Office of the Registrar, at 901.448.2495, Monday through Friday, during the hours of 8:00AM to 5:00PM.
  3. Joining Partners In Education
    To become a member of Partners In Education, a student must sign and return the Student Release/Withdrawal of Confidential Information form. The release does not apply to personal counseling, health, or financial information protected by FERPA; however, if students are experiencing problems in these areas, UTHSC staff will be happy to assist in identifying available resources. The student has the right to withdraw the release at any time.

Name & Address Changes

Students should utilize Banner Self-Service to complete any name and/or address changes. Once a student has utilized Self-Service, an automated workflow is initiated to alert the office of Enrollment Services, Bursar, as well as the Dean’s office of the student’s respective college. Prompt notification of change of address will help to assure prompt receipt of grades, program enrollment materials, changes in enrollment status, commencement information, etc. Name changes will be recorded within the Office of the Registrar but name changes are made in “real-time” to official class rosters. Students who change their names during the spring semester must notify the registrar by mid-March to assure that their diploma reflects their name change. Students graduating at other times should consult with the Registrar’s office prior to award of their degree to assure timely name changes for their diplomas.

Changes in permanent address cannot be made without formal review and approval from the Registrar’s Office. Such changes, if approved, require documentation as to where the student has established permanent domicile (consult with the Registrar regarding the process and documentation requirements).

Residency Classification Information

General Principles regarding Residency Classification

The University of Tennessee Board of Trustees adopted revised residency requirements in February, 2015. These revised requirements are effective beginning August 25, 2015. UTHSC also compliances with Public Chapter No. 219 . See link to Tennessee Public Chapter 219 at http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0219.pdf.  Applicants to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center are classified as “in-state” or “out-of- state” for the purpose of admission and payment of fees based upon the address provided as the permanent address on the student’s application for admission. As a state-assisted institution, UTHSC gives priority consideration in its professional programs to residents of the State of Tennessee. In many programs, restrictions apply to applications from out-of-state.


(I) “Public higher education institution” shall mean a university or community college supported by appropriations made by the Legislature of this State.

(2) “Residence” shall mean continuous physical presence and maintenance of a dwelling place within this State, provided that absence from the State for short periods of time shall not affect the establishment of a residence.

(3) “Domicile “ shall mean a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation; it is the place where he or she intend s to  remain, and to which he  or she expects to return when he or she leaves without intending to establish or having established a new domicile elsewhere. Undocumented aliens cannot establish domicile in Tennessee, regardless of length of residence in Tennessee.

(4) “Emancipated person” shall mean a person who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years and whose parents have entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody, and earnings of such person are no longer under any legal obligation to support or maintain such person.

(5) “Parent” shall mean a person’s father or mother. If there is a non-parental guardian or legal custodian of an unemancipated person, then “parent” shall mean such guardian or legal custodian; provided that there are not circumstances indicating that such guardianship or custodianship was created primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an in-state student on such emancipated person.

(6) “Continuous enrollment ” or “continuously enrolled ” shall mean enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions of this State as a full-time student, as such term is defined by the governing body of said public higher education institution or institutions, for a normal academic year or years or the appropriate portion or portions thereof since the beginning of the period for which ccontinuous enrollment is claimed. Such person need not enroll in summer sessions or other such inter-sessions beyond the normal academic year in order that his or her enrollment be deemed continuous.  Enrollment shall be deemed continuous notwithstanding lapses  in enrollment occasioned solely by the scheduling of the commencement and/or termination of the academic years, or appropriate portion thereof, of the public higher educational institutions in which such person enrolls.
(7) “U.S. Armed Forces” shall mean the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
(8) “Veteran” means:
        (a)  A former member of the U.S. Armed Forces
        (b)  A former or current member of a reserve or Tennessee national guard unit who was called into active military service of the United States, as defined in Tennessee Code Annotated 58-1-102.

Rules for Determination of Status

(I) Every person having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.
(2) Every person not having his or her domicile in this State shall be classified “out-of-state” for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes .
(3)  The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of his or her parent, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03. Unemancipated students of divorced parents shall be classified “in-state” when one (1) parent, regardless of custodial status, is domiciled in Tennessee, except as provided in paragraph (4) of this Section .03.
(4)  A student shall be classified as “in-state” for fee and tuition purposes if the student is a citizen of the United States, has resided in Tennessee for at least one (1) year immediately prior to admission, and has:
       (a)  Graduated from a Tennessee public secondary school
       (b)  Graduated from a private secondary school that is located in Tennessee; or
       (c)  Earned a Tennessee high school equivalency diploma.
(5)  The spouse of a student classified as “in-state” shall also be classified as “in-state”.
(6)  All classifications shall be subject to the Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 4-58-101 et seq.

Out-of-state Students who are NOT Required to Pay Out-Of-State Tuition

(I)  An unemancipated,  currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should  his  or her parent, having theretofore been domiciled in the State, remove from the State. However, such student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be treated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his or her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.

(2)  An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this State  but is a  member of the armed forces and stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he or she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his or her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders .

(3)  Part-time  students who are not domiciled in this State but who are employed  full-time  in the State shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This shall apply to part-time students who are employed in the State by  more than one employer, resulting in the equivalent of full-time employment.

(4)  A member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty for more than thirty (30) days and who has a permanent duty station in the State of Tennessee (or the spouse or dependent child of such a member) who should be classified out-of-state in accordance with other provisions of these regulations will be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition.  This provision shall continue to apply to such a member, spouse, or dependent child while continuously enrolled at that public higher education institution, notwithstanding a subsequent change in the permanent duty station of the member to a location outside of the state.

(5)  A person who is domiciled in the Kentucky counties of Fulton, Hickman, or Graves shall be classified out-of-state and shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition at The University of Tennessee at Martin if qualified for admission. This exemption is on condition that Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky, continue to admit Tennessee residents from selected Tennessee counties to enroll at that institution without payment of out-of-state tuition.

(6)  Any dependent child not domiciled in Tennessee but who qualifies and is selected to receive a scholarship under the “Dependent Children Scholarship Act” (T.C.A. § 49-4-704) because his or her parent is a law enforcement officer, fireman, or emergency medical service technician who was killed or totally and permanently disabled while performing duties within the scope of employment, shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition .

(7)  A veteran enrolled in any public institution of higher education in this state shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition or any out-of-state fee, if the veteran:

(a) Has not been dishonorably discharged from a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces or the national guard;                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

(b) Is eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits of Montgomery GI Bill benefits; and

(c) Enrolls in a public institution of higher education, after satisfying all admission requirements, within twenty-four (24) months after the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214, or an equivalent document.

To continue to qualify for in-state tuition and fees under this subsection, a veteran shall;

(a)  Maintain continuous enrollment (as defined by the public institution of higher education in which the veteran is enrolled); and
(b)  Within one (1) year of enrolling in the public institution of higher education:
(A)  Register to vote in the state of Tennessee; or
(B)  Demonstrate by objective evidence intent to be a resident of the state of Tennessee by obtaining at least two (2) of the following:
       (i) A Tennessee Driver’s License
       (ii) A Tennessee Motor Vehicle registration
       (iii) Proof of established employment in the state of Tennessee; or
       (iv) Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in this state as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

(8)  Students  not domiciled in Tennessee but who are selected to participate in specified institutional undergraduate Honors Programs specified by the public education higher education institution in which the student is enrolled shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay Out-of­ State tuition .

(9) A “covered individual under the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, Public Law 113-146, who maintains continuous enrollment at the same public institution of higher education.


Unless the contrary appears from clear and convincing evidence,  it shall be presumed that an emancipated person does not acquire domicile in this State while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at any public or private higher educational institution in this State, as such status is defined by such institution.

Evidence Considered for Establishment of Domicile

If a person asserts that he or she has established domicile in this State he or she has the burden of proving that he or she has done so. Such a person is entitled to provide to the public higher educational institution by which he seeks to be classified or reclassified in-state, any and all evidence which he or she believes will sustain his or her burden of proof. Said institution will consider any and all evidence provided to it concerning such claim of domicile but will not treat any particular type or item of such evidence as conclusive evidence that domicile has or has not been established.

Residency Information for Foreign Students

  1. In general, if you are an international student, you cannot qualify for in-state status, because most visas include a clause defining conditions that may require return to your country of origin. In such cases, you cannot establish permanent domicile in Tennessee and cannot be granted in-state status. This situation changes if you become a permanent resident (e.g., obtain a ‘green card’).
  2. If you are a non-citizen and you satisfy the conditions of your visa or if you obtain permanent residency, you can request review for reclassification as an in-state student. However, you would then have to meet the same residency requirements that are expected of other applicants to UTHSC.
  3. Unless your spouse is an in-state student, your residency will not be affected by the residency of your spouse. Rather the University will examine accumulated evidence related to your own individual situation.

Residency FAQs

For additional information, please visit our website at: http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php. UTHSC complies with Tennessee Public Chapter 219, “Classifying Students In-State and Out-of-State”, adopted April 20, 2015. See link to Tennessee Public Chapter 219 athttp://state.tn.us/sos/acts/109/pub/pc0219.pdf.

Appeal Process

The classification officer of each public higher educational institution shall be responsible for initially classifying students “in-state’ or “out-of-state “. Appropriate procedures shall be established by each such institution by which a student may appeal his or her initial classification. To view the appeals process, please visit our website at http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php

Effective Date for Reclassification

If a student classified out-of-state applies for in-state classification and is subsequently so classified his or her in-state classification shall be effective as of the date on which reclassification was sought. However, out-of-state tuition will be charged for any semester during which reclassification is sought and obtained unless application for reclassification is made to the classification officer on or before the last day of regular registration of that semester.

Residency Classification Scenarios

For residency classification scenarios, please visit our website at http://www.uthsc.edu/registrar/residency.php

Misconduct Records & Notifications

Confidential records of all misconduct reports, investigations, and disciplinary actions are maintained in the Office of Student Affairs/Enrollment Services. The University of Tennessee Health Science Center follows the guide for good practice in the recording of disciplinary actions recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the American Personnel Association, National Association of Women Deans and Counselors, and National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. These agencies recommend: “That the official education record (permanent records) should contain all entries of disciplinary actions which suspend or dismiss the student or restrict, limit, or condition the student’s eligibility to return or reregister in the college. In such cases the educational record should indicate clearly action taken as disciplinary in contrast with academic dismissal and suspension. The records do not indicate the nature of the behavior which occasioned disciplinary action. Except in the case of error or injustice, no entry on the official records should be physically removed.”